Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT 8" vs. 10" barrels

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

loki*hunter
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT 8" vs. 10" barrels

Post by loki*hunter »

9mmkungfu wrote:
scottryan wrote:I went with 10"

My gun has to be double duty as a supersonic CQB fighting gun and as a suppressed gun. I felt the 10" was a better compromise due to the extra velocity and extra back pressure due to more barrel past the gas block.

It also must cycle subsonics without the silencer. Therefore, I used an regular 3.0 oz carbine buffer, not an H buffer.

I went with 10" because I can set it up the same as my other 5.56 short AR-15s. I can use the same railed handguards and light placement as the other guns.
My 8" does not cycle subs, without the suppressor, using a standard carbine buffer.

When I spoke to Noveske about that they said that they leaned toward reliability with supersonic with or without a suppressor and assumed some risk with non-surpressed subsonic loads figuring that most people would not shoot subsonic unless they were suppressed. It seems to me that this is a good tradeoff for the best performance in the most common ways the weapon would be employed.
superman007

Post by superman007 »

"extra back pressure due to more barrel past the gas block"

RSilvers, pressure is based upon port size, the additional barrel will help with volume however. Would that not in the case where shooting subs without a silencer be a benefit?

ideally you wouldn't want to open the port to do so as it may allow too much gas running supers.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

superman007 wrote:"extra back pressure due to more barrel past the gas block"

RSilvers, pressure is based upon port size, the additional barrel will help with volume however. Would that not in the case where shooting subs without a silencer be a benefit?

ideally you wouldn't want to open the port to do so as it may allow too much gas running supers.

"extra" barrel will increase "dwell time" or time the system is pressurized, but that won't increase operating pressure.

So, more barrel would allow the system to be pressurized longer, and could help function. but that's then a tradeoff in terms of having too much gas with subs, which brings us back to the importance of gas port size selection... fun, huh?
Kick Ass Design
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Our 9 inch uppers are at least as reliable as our 16 inch uppers, regardless of dwell time differences. This is not just a guess - we have formally tested many of each with lots of ammo. I have no concern with an 8, 9, or 10 inch barrel length. If a upper does not work well, I would look for other things, but not barrel length.
9mmkungfu
Silent Operator

Post by 9mmkungfu »

loki*hunter wrote:
9mmkungfu wrote:
scottryan wrote:I went with 10"

My gun has to be double duty as a supersonic CQB fighting gun and as a suppressed gun. I felt the 10" was a better compromise due to the extra velocity and extra back pressure due to more barrel past the gas block.

It also must cycle subsonics without the silencer. Therefore, I used an regular 3.0 oz carbine buffer, not an H buffer.

I went with 10" because I can set it up the same as my other 5.56 short AR-15s. I can use the same railed handguards and light placement as the other guns.
My 8" does not cycle subs, without the suppressor, using a standard carbine buffer.

When I spoke to Noveske about that they said that they leaned toward reliability with supersonic with or without a suppressor and assumed some risk with non-surpressed subsonic loads figuring that most people would not shoot subsonic unless they were suppressed. It seems to me that this is a good tradeoff for the best performance in the most common ways the weapon would be employed.
Yes, sorry I wasn't complaining. I knew full well it was designed to cycle subs only with a can attached, and supers either way. I was just making mention that even with a carbine buffer (as opposed to an H2, or heavier), it did not cycle.

I really like this setup.
goldsabers

Post by goldsabers »

I'm a newbie here and looking for any assistance anyone can kindly offer regarding who the best vendor might be for buying a Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT 8" Upper Receiver Assembly. I'm seeing a range of prices, from $800 to almost $1200. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
bzdog

Post by bzdog »

9mmkungfu wrote: My 8" does not cycle subs, without the suppressor, using a standard carbine buffer.
Noveske notes this on their web page, even about the 16" I purchased:

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/im ... us=&title=
The Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT is designed to run optimally firing both subsonic suppressed and supersonic unsuppressed. This barrel is tuned to lock back on the last round using subsonic 220 and 208 grain ammunition with a sound suppressor. The firearm may not lock back with subsonic 220 and 208 grain ammunition without a sound suppressor. Also, the subsonic 300 BLK ammunition is more susceptible to a malfunction due to carbon fouling and adverse conditions than supersonic ammunition. The barrel is tuned to operate correctly with the back pressure provided by the AAC 762-SDN-6 using an H2 buffer, or a Surefire 762K suppressor and an H buffer.
-john
wacki

Post by wacki »

300Blk wrote:Our 9 inch uppers are at least as reliable as our 16 inch uppers, regardless of dwell time differences. This is not just a guess - we have formally tested many of each with lots of ammo. I have no concern with an 8, 9, or 10 inch barrel length. If a upper does not work well, I would look for other things, but not barrel length.
Who is "our" and "we"? Are you part of a company or just a bunch of guys testing guns at the range?
vugger

Post by vugger »

wacki wrote:
300Blk wrote:Our 9 inch uppers are at least as reliable as our 16 inch uppers, regardless of dwell time differences. This is not just a guess - we have formally tested many of each with lots of ammo. I have no concern with an 8, 9, or 10 inch barrel length. If a upper does not work well, I would look for other things, but not barrel length.
Who is "our" and "we"? Are you part of a company or just a bunch of guys testing guns at the range?
:shock:
wacki

Post by wacki »

What am I missing? I don't see any company logos on this website. 300Blk's profile is blank as well.