Compressed loads

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

michaelprob
Silent Operator

Compressed loads

Post by michaelprob »

I finally found some Sierra 125 grain Match Kings and of course, they are much longer than any of the 125 grain spire points I have been reloading. Does anyone have any experience with them, in regards to seating depth and COAL? My primary powders are H110 and Lil' Gun and my barrel seems to prefer loads about half a grain less than max and this will more than likely give me a compressed load. Thoughts on this with an AR? I have a magazine from Widener that will allow COAL's with the bullet tip almost touching the edge of the magazine.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Compressed loads

Post by tallburnedmidget »

I've shot compressed loads with Lil'Gun using Barnes 130gr TTSX and did not see any pressure issues. However my recorded data showed that my speeds did not really increase and may have even decreased compared to the loads that were near compressed.

With no gain in speed it is a waste of powder so I am avoiding loading compressed loads with Lil'Gun based off my experiences so far. Wish I had more details for you but feel free to work up your loads and see for yourself. Thanks :)
dh2
Senior Silent Operator

Post by dh2 »

I have been reloading for over 20 years and have had very good luck with compressed loads , for a hunting round I prefer a load compressed no more than 10% but I do use a magnum primer for any compressed load, that do take better to temperature changes . but I have always got a lot of smoke and large groups and a very dirty gun when compressing flake powder like unique. I am using H110 in my 300 AAC Blackout when pushing a 150 gr bullet it is filled to the neck even though the seating depth is lower than the neck so it is compressed but it has been the best preforming load in this rifle I have tryed
michaelprob
Silent Operator

Post by michaelprob »

dh2 wrote:I have been reloading for over 20 years and have had very good luck with compressed loads , for a hunting round I prefer a load compressed no more than 10% but I do use a magnum primer for any compressed load, that do take better to temperature changes . but I have always got a lot of smoke and large groups and a very dirty gun when compressing flake powder like unique. I am using H110 in my 300 AAC Blackout when pushing a 150 gr bullet it is filled to the neck even though the seating depth is lower than the neck so it is compressed but it has been the best preforming load in this rifle I have tryed
I have shot lots of compressed loads from various bolt guns over the years, but not in an AR platform. Thanks for the advice.