Wooden AR15 300 Blackout, bucking the trend!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Wooden AR15 300 Blackout, bucking the trend!

Post by tallburnedmidget »

While looking at some of the other out of the ordinary cool gun projects I have mentioned I was working on something not so common as well.
I bought an AR wood furniture kit and did a little custom work to it.

My goal was to have an AR with wooden furniture while still having a free float handguard with a top rail. I had to overcome a few issues like the wooden hand guard I bought was not free float and no rail existed. To achieve my goals I bought the smallest diameter free float hand guard with a top rail that I could find. The Midwest Industries gent 2 ss hand guard is what I used to achieve free float with a top rail.

Then the task at hand was to find a way to modify the wooden hand guard to fit around the free free float hand guard and to allow the top rail to be exposed and useable. Through the use of my trusty Dremel rotary tool I was able to cut the top of the wooden hand guard to allow space for the Midwest top rail. I then used the Dremel again to sand down the inside of the wooden hand guard halves so that the wooden hand guard halves would fit tightly around the Midwest hand guard. Finally I just had to drill some holes into the wooden hand guard halves and screw them to the Midwest hand guard.

Voila, you can see the results below (forgive the crappy pictures, I'll try to get some better ones). I'm excited about it and hope some find it interesting. Enjoy :)

[EDIT: Disabled the old giant pics and posted new better quality better sized pics, URLs are still there for you to reference the old pics by but they should not be displaying in this thread any longer]

New and improved from my new 20megapixel phone :)

Before:
[img]http://oi44.tinypic.com/15pnxwy.jpg[img]

After:
[img]http://oi44.tinypic.com/adz0a8.jpg[img]

Side profile long ways:
[img]http://oi43.tinypic.com/fnr4ep.jpg[img]

Custom hand guard assembled:
[img]http://oi40.tinypic.com/2rzdpgn.jpg[img]

Custom hand guard side profile assembled:
[img]http://oi40.tinypic.com/e19u2s.jpg[img]

Down the barrel free float view

[img]http://oi42.tinypic.com/b7dlpj.jpg[img]
Last edited by tallburnedmidget on Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ohl_san
Silent But Deadly

Re: Wooden AR15 300 Blackout, bucking the trend!

Post by ohl_san »

Wow, that's all I can say, it looks like you achieved the best of both worlds, I have always liked wood AR's
nothing is more powerful than a young boy's wish. Except an Apache. Apaches have machine guns & missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry an absolute death machine
TED
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

ohl_san wrote:Wow, that's all I can say, it looks like you achieved the best of both worlds, I have always liked wood AR's
It was definitely an effort and the opposite of cost effective but man it looks good, though the images do no justice. I still need to take the rifle out and try it with the new mods. I can't wait but I need to avoid damn near having a heat stroke in the 95 degree heat like I almost did last weekend hahaha :)
RAPR
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAPR »

looks really good. How's the heat dissipation on that barrel under heavy firing?
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

RAPR wrote:looks really good. How's the heat dissipation on that barrel under heavy firing?
Not sure yet with this new wooden setup, and I load with Lil'Gun which burns very hot. I'll find out soon. I plan to heavily soak the interior of the wood hand guard in some good heat resistant oil so that it resists drying out and cracking.

My main goal is hunting so I don't plan to do a lot of rapid firing and I can always wait a bit between shots. Should I want to do rapid firing I can also simply unscrew the wood hand guard off quiet easily which is another option.

It will be interesting to see how it holds up and if I see issues I can cut off the bottom portion of the wood hand guard so the heat escapes through the bottom of the Midwest Industries hand guard that the wood is screwed to.
RAPR
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAPR »

You could always mill some holes in the wood to match up with the metal handguard underneath. That would be pretty interesting looking!
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

RAPR wrote:You could always mill some holes in the wood to match up with the metal handguard underneath. That would be pretty interesting looking!
That may be an option. I would need to be careful with drilling holes in the wood as every hole weakens the grip making it easier to crack or break.

I'll be able to gauge what is needed if anything is needed at all after an outing or 2.
Last edited by tallburnedmidget on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

That is a nice looking stock set!
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

talonxracer wrote:That is a nice looking stock set!
Thanks. This was the little project I mentioned in your encore thread. I'm surprised it came together so nicely. i'm hopefull it will last.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

did you consider a national match free float barrel sleeve ? I wonder if a person could get that to work . the top rail would be an issue for sure but you definatly have my wheels turning.