Sierra 125 gr 308 Spitzer pro hunters load results

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Fortenbras
Senior Silent Operator

Sierra 125 gr 308 Spitzer pro hunters load results

Post by Fortenbras »

So, I found these at a local Shooting supply store that has not been open a lot and decided to give them a try. They were just about the right weight for 300 Blackout but I knew that they were not made specifically for the 300 BLK casings.

What I was initially worried about was how short the bullets were and if this would result in the correct ogive and if that might result in missfeeds.

I ended up loading them with 17gr of Lil'gun and with a mixture of cases formed from .223, 5.56 and .222, primed with CCI Small rifle. They were formed with RCBS dies and crimped with a Lee crimping die.

My rifle is a 16 inch carbine set up with a 2x Truglo red dot. I shoot at 50 yards at a standing position (I do not typically bench shoot) and I should also add that this is the first time using the Truglo red dot (I know not the best testing situation for reducing variables but hey, this isn't science class :). Oh and also I should add that I have a Ni-Boron Trigger group and BCG, but I don't believe that would increase the mitigation of misfires or jams.

Anyhow, here are some pics of the rounds formed...

So after all 40 rounds I ended up with no failures to fire, eject or jamming issues at all. The rounds functioned perfectly. The recoil with 17gr of Lil'gun was probably a bit more than it needed to be and I found that followup shots were not optimal and did take time to re-acquire. I will probably try a lower load with the next batch. I think you can see this from my target but keep in mind this is also the first time with a new scope.

So I found these to be some extremely good plinking rounds and I believe once I have a lighter load worked up, they would make excellent rounds for hunting. They are a great choice for those of you like myself who are not able to find Blackout specific bullets to load and just want to have something comparable to shoot. Hope you found this helpful.
Bstubby

Re: Sierra 125 gr 308 Spitzer pro hunters load results

Post by Bstubby »

The loading data I got from Sierra for the pro-hunter was an OAL of 2.0 inches. From looking around on the board here most people seem to be seating them at about 2.06-2.065. From the picture in your post it looks like you're seating them a lot further out. But if it works for you...

For Lilgun they gave me a start of 15.7 to a max of 17.2 grains. They quoted a top velocity of 2200 I think.
Fortenbras
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Fortenbras »

I'm gonna check the OAL when I get home but I really don't want to fix what isn't broke either, they really did shoot well. Much better than the 147 and 150 grs that I've been loading.
R.Ph. 380
Silent Operator

Post by R.Ph. 380 »

Hogden lists 2.060 as oal and 16.7 to17.6 grns of H110. I just loaded a bunch because I found these same 125 grn Sierra Spitzer bullets last month. Got 6 boxes. Glad to hear someone else loading them. I'll post when I've taken them to the range.

Bill
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

All my reading and my initial experience with the 125gr SPH bullet has been great and the price has been good as well (< $22)! I was able to push it over 2300fps with Lil'Gun, no pressure signs, and good accurracy w/out trying at 25yds.

I loaded 17.0gr, 18.0gr, 18.5gr, 19.0gr, and 19.1gr of Lil'Gun with no pressure signs. I don't have my load data on me but 17.0gr of Lil'Gun was all over 1 - 1.5" up, down, left and right and avg was over 2200fps. The other loads were consistent, easily < .75", and 19.1 was about .25" over 2300fps.

I was loading to COAL of 2.040 and shooting out of my 16.5" bolt gun.

I read it expands well for hunting application in 300 BLK and all reports about this bullet have been very good. I plan to use it is a general hunting option as well as plinking option with that price.
Fortenbras
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Fortenbras »

Checked the COAL when I got hone last night and it was 2.09 so not too bad. I think Mine were more than 22 bucks but still well worth it, very good all purpose round for 300 BLK.
Last edited by Fortenbras on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fortenbras
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Fortenbras »

tallburnedmidget wrote:All my reading and my initial experience with the 125gr SPH bullet has been great and the price has been good as well (< $22)! I was able to push it over 2300fps with Lil'Gun, no pressure signs, and good accurracy w/out trying at 25yds.

I loaded 17.0gr, 18.0gr, 18.5gr, 19.0gr, and 19.1gr of Lil'Gun with no pressure signs. I don't have my load data on me but 17.0gr of Lil'Gun was all over 1 - 1.5" up, down, left and right and avg was over 2200fps. The other loads were consistent, easily < .75", and 19.1 was about .25" over 2300fps.

I read it expands well for hunting application in 300 BLK and all reports about this bullet have been very good. I plan to use it is a general hunting option as well as plinking option with that price.
Did you try the 18, 18.5 and 19 out of an AR?
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

Picked up 3 boxes of the Sierra 125 spitzer at KC Cabelas last weekend.
Eventually I will have time to work with them.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Fortenbras wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:All my reading and my initial experience with the 125gr SPH bullet has been great and the price has been good as well (< $22)! I was able to push it over 2300fps with Lil'Gun, no pressure signs, and good accurracy w/out trying at 25yds.

Did you try the 18, 18.5 and 19 out of an AR?
Nope that is the next step. I prefer to do any initial load work up in my bolt gun and then move to the AR. Without published load data I feel more comfortable/safer shooting from the bolt gun when working on a load and I believe issues caused by high pressure loads are much easier/cheaper to fix with my bolt gun as apposed to an AR.

I need to load some to fire out of the AR now. I think the 18's should have no issue but I want to make sure the 19's do not start causing pressure issues as we get into 90 degree weather here. I would also like see if I could get near an avg of 2220fps for the bullet however that would be below 17gr for me, which I have not loaded yet.
JoeHarley13
Silent But Deadly

Post by JoeHarley13 »

I really prefer these bullets over the 110's. The 110's when loaded to 2.040" just don't have much bullet in the case, approx 0.148". At least with the 125gr Pro Hunters, you get .210" when loaded to 2.040"

Accuracy has been pretty good for me.