125 grain sierra pro hunter for first time hog hunt

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jcshunter84

125 grain sierra pro hunter for first time hog hunt

Post by jcshunter84 »

Going on a hog hunt this weekend with my new blackout. Tested several different loads but settled on 125 gr sierra pro hunters on top of 18.0 gr of h-110. Gave me an average velocity of 2200 fps and a 1.25 inch 5 shot group at 100 yards. Gun has a 16" stainless barrel. Anyone had any success on hogs with these bullets?? Cant wait to test them out tomorrow morning on something other than paper.
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Re: 125 grain sierra pro hunter for first time hog hunt

Post by nolwark76 »

Have you tried a little faster? I've heard of good accuracy even up to 2280 which would give just over 1400 ft/lbs energy at the muzzle.

Either way you should have good luck with them. I bet some companies will start offering this bullet in loaded ammo. Take some pics and let us know how it goes. Too bad the hogs ate such a problem but that's awesome that other than a hunting license you can kill at will. So far Oregon doesn't have much of a pig problem. I've heard of some in central/eastern Oregon but they are few and far between.
Legionaire
Silent But Deadly

Post by Legionaire »

HSM offers it. Just no brass to load at the moment.
JoeHarley13
Silent But Deadly

Post by JoeHarley13 »

Let us know how it goes, I am curious how they perform as well. I use the same load and get 1,984 fps out of my 8.5" barrel. Will they expand less, and penetrate more?

Good luck!
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

I've read about people having success on deer, and a mention of a couple of head shots on hogs. I think it will be a fine hunting load, plus shoot the hogs behind the ear and it won't matter what you are using and they won't run :)

I just shot some about 9 days ago loaded with Lil'Gun. I was working up a load and think I have found one I want to try for accuracy out to 100 yds, as I was only shooting at 25 yds and wasn't taking time to aim very accurately. I still managed to keep it within 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch in spread.

I like this bullet a lot for a few reasons:

1)It travels fast for 300 BLK
2)Expansion (I'm sure the soft lead tip helps) should be ok within the speeds and distances I would be hunting/shooting
3)Accuracy has been good so far at 25 yds and people are reporting good accuracy with their 125gr SPH loads out to 100 yds
4)It is one of the most available and least expensive bullets to find for 300 BLK that should also be a game hunting option (not varmint)
5)Back to cost, cheap enough to varmint hunt or plink with

The load I will be checking for accuracy out to 100 yds was avg speed of 2380fps (this was in 84 degree heat) out of a 16.5 inch bolt gun with no pressure signs and an SD of 19. I don't think I'll try to push it any faster as I would like to see how it performs as a plinking load once we hit the 90's and 100's in temp around here. I want the load to be safe in those hotter temps and may need to tune it down a bit as the weather gets hotter. Should the accuracy pan out and it remain safe in the hotter temps I'll post the load.

Good luck on the hunt and be sure to post some pics :)
jotiecoyote

Post by jotiecoyote »

[quot[url][/url]e="tallburnedmidget"]I've read about people having success on deer, and a mention of a couple of head shots on hogs. I think it will be a fine hunting load, plus shoot the hogs behind the ear and it won't matter what you are using and they won't run :)

I just shot some about 9 days ago loaded with Lil'Gun. I was working up a load and think I have found one I want to try for accuracy out to 100 yds, as I was only shooting at 25 yds and wasn't taking time to aim very accurately. I still managed to keep it within 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch in spread.

I like this bullet a lot for a few reasons:

1)It travels fast for 300 BLK
2)Expansion (I'm sure the soft lead tip helps) should be ok within the speeds and distances I would be hunting/shooting
3)Accuracy has been good so far at 25 yds and people are reporting good accuracy with their 125gr SPH loads out to 100 yds
4)It is one of the most available and least expensive bullets to find for 300 BLK that should also be a game hunting option (not varmint)
5)Back to cost, cheap enough to varmint hunt or plink with

The load I will be checking for accuracy out to 100 yds was avg speed of 2380fps (this was in 84 degree heat) out of a 16.5 inch bolt gun with no pressure signs and an SD of 19. I don't think I'll try to push it any faster as I would like to see how it performs as a plinking load once we hit the 90's and 100's in temp around here. I want the load to be safe in those hotter temps and may need to tune it down a bit as the weather gets hotter. Should the accuracy pan out and it remain safe in the hotter temps I'll post the load.

Good luck on the hunt and be sure to post some pics :)[/quote]

I just picked up an AAC 16" upper and 2,000 125gr Pro Hunter heads. Could you tell us what powder you're using?

I also have some Speer 180gr SPBT and 147gr FMJs to play with. The 125gr Sierras with 17grs of H110and W296 didn't impress me as far as accuracy at 100 yds. with open sights. I've loaded the next batch with 17.7 grs and 20rds with 20grs of A1680 . No pigs in the No. East yet so Whitetail and coyotes are what I'm after.

As long as I can get about 2,000fps with the 125gr SP and get 1.25" or better i'ld be happy. I don't like beating my guns with Max loads.
Iwas using BUIS on my first test, since placed a VariX III 2.5x 10 x 50mm Obj., swapped DPMS lower to Bushmaster lower with 2 stage match trigger. My Chrony isn't working right so I'm looking to up grade that. Hoping scope and trigger will help.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

jotiecoyote wrote: ... Could you tell us what powder you're using?
I was using Lil'Gun. I was not shooting for accuracy and was only at 25 yards, but I was putting them within .5 - .75 inch. Until I find out how the rounds do in about mid 90's temp I will keep from posting them but I will PM you what I have recorded. The good news is that out of the 5 sets I loaded only one set was inaccurate for me. If the 4 good loads hold accuracy at 100 yds then I would haven no problem using any of the loads.

PM incoming!
jotiecoyote

Post by jotiecoyote »

I too like the 125gr Pro Hunter for all the same reasons. In an AR package it's light and compact, shoulders and swings quick. You can change from scope, red dot to irons easy. In a semi-auto quicker follow up shots when you call in more the one coyote. Or Hog........This has become my new favorite cartridge.
jcshunter84

Post by jcshunter84 »

well no luck this weekend. saw every animal in the woods except for hogs. too bad it wasnt deer season already I'm dying to test this round. hope to go after the hogs again in early july. it will be blazing hot but better to be in the woods than working. ran across some 110 gr sierra varminters the other day and picked them up out of curiosity, had them running just under 2500 fps with 20.0 gr of h-110 and shot real accurate but figured they dont carry a lot of energy too far. figured i might use those on yotes or something this fall. anyone ever hunted anything bigger with them? on side note this was my first hunting trip with my blackout and I'm hooked. stalking through the swamps with it was awesome.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

jcshunter84 wrote:well no luck this weekend. saw every animal in the woods except for hogs. too bad it wasnt deer season already I'm dying to test this round. hope to go after the hogs again in early july. it will be blazing hot but better to be in the woods than working. ran across some 110 gr sierra varminters the other day and picked them up out of curiosity, had them running just under 2500 fps with 20.0 gr of h-110 and shot real accurate but figured they dont carry a lot of energy too far. figured i might use those on yotes or something this fall. anyone ever hunted anything bigger with them? on side note this was my first hunting trip with my blackout and I'm hooked. stalking through the swamps with it was awesome.
I feel your pain. I set up snares to catch hogs and get nothing but coyotes. I set up traps for hogs with a feeder and all, and see everything but hogs stop by. They are all over the state of Texas yet when I really get a setup going they disappear on me. I know that if I ever move on a night vision setup they will stop coming out at night.

All that would be left then would be for them to become inner city hogs to avoid me :P