300 Blackout Accuracy

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

copperhead

300 Blackout Accuracy

Post by copperhead »

I just got a remington 700 sps in 300 blk with a 16.5" barrel. I just started to work up a load for it and I'm a reloader so that's all I'll be doing. My question is, What is the expected accuracy for a 300 blkout? I always try to get my loads to within 1/2 Moa but I know some calibers just won't do that. So what are some of your guys groups with the bolt guns or single shots. and what kind of accuracy should I expect with the 110 vmax, 125 sierras, 208 amax "subs" and 220 smk "? Thanks in advance for your help on the topic.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 Blackout Accuracy

Post by talonxracer »

At 100 yards the best group I have had was the size of a quarter with my Encore, shooting Barnes blacktips off of a lead sled.

The blacktips can be sensitive to seating depth, I found that .040" off the lands got the best grouping, .010" in either direction opened up the grouping a fair amount. Barnes recommends .030"-.070" starting at .050".
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

I dont' have a bolt 300 blkout but I have had groups as small as 1/4" at 100yrds with 208gn subs and 125gn supers. Shot with a 16" Noveske. The blkout can do it, you just have to play with the loads some. But considering the blkout range, 1/2" to 1" groups at 100 yrds will work just fine.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

The 300 BLK is alot of things, but it is not an inherently accurate cartridge like a 308 Win.
The best accuracy that I have seen from the 300 BLK is from the 125 AAC / SMK loaded with N110 and a 205M Primer. (3/4 MOA @ 100 yards)
I would set 1 MOA out to 300 yards as an accuracy goal.

I'm sure that Robert will chime in with some specifics.
He will likely post up the MIL testing protocol and the 300 BLK test results.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

Dr.Phil wrote:The 300 BLK is alot of things, but it is not an inherently accurate cartridge like a 308 Win.
The best accuracy that I have seen from the 300 BLK is from the 125 AAC / SMK loaded with N110 and a 205M Primer. (3/4 MOA @ 100 yards)
I would set 1 MOA out to 300 yards as an accuracy goal.

I'm sure that Robert will chime in with some specifics.
He will likely post up the MIL testing protocol and the 300 BLK test results.

I agree. I shoot (2) bolt guns in the Blackout and have never used the cartridge in an AR - yet.

Of course it all depends on the bullets and load combination being used. When shooting supersonics, if you can maintain (5) shot groups that average .75 MOA @ 100 yds. using match grade bullets then you're doing well. I've had plenty of individual groups that have been far better than that but my average over the course of a shooting session will invariably end up being around .75 MOA.

Subsonics are another thing all together. If you could maintain an average of 2 MOA or less @ 100 yds. I'd be happy with that. I don't have a great deal experience shooting subs but I've got a Hornady 90gr. XTP load that averages 1.35 MOA @ 100 yds. that I might be able to tighten up a little with some experimentation with primers.
Retooferab
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Retooferab »

This is an average sub sonic group shot with 220 SMK. I also get the same groups using 208 amaxes.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin
kuroTexan
Silent Operator

Post by kuroTexan »

Retooferab wrote:This is an average sub sonic group shot with 220 SMK. I also get the same groups using 208 amaxes.

What's the distance on this?
Retooferab
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Retooferab »

100 yards. I always screw the group up on the last shot!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin
Coyotekiller1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Coyotekiller1 »

farm use wrote:I dont' have a bolt 300 blkout but I have had groups as small as 1/4" at 100yrds with 208gn subs and 125gn supers. Shot with a 16" Noveske. The blkout can do it, you just have to play with the loads some. But considering the blkout range, 1/2" to 1" groups at 100 yrds will work just fine.
.25" accuracy out of a bullet that is .308"?
"Pig Hammer"
CMMG 16" WASP 1-7
Surplus Ammo upper
BCM BCG w/ JP bolt kit
BCM Gunfighter charging handle
Troy Claymore brake
YHM FF tubular forend
P-series mount
Nikon P-223 3x32
darr3239
Silent But Deadly

Post by darr3239 »

It doesn't matter what size the bullet is. The smallest group I've had so far measured .190" with a 308 Win.

Groups should either be measured from the center of the holes, or by outside edge to outside edge and then subtracting the caliber of the bullet.

The method I prefer is to use the On-Target computer program, which you can download. My groups almost always are a little smaller with it than when I use a caliper! :P

P.S.- The smallest group I've had so far with any subsonic, with my 8.2" Noveske, was just under an inch at 100 yards.
"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln