Best Subsonic Ammo for Defensive Use

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

farm use
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best Subsonic Ammo for Defensive Use

Post by farm use »

For self defence anything that goes down range when needed is good. I shoot the 208gn amax & weather it expands or not, I dont want to be hit with it! If thats what I have it will work.
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

I'd have no problem using subsonic rounds for self defense...in .45 ACP of course. 8)

I'd never consider it in 300 Blackout. Limited choice of bullets suitable for the job and the ones that are adequate are too expensive to train/practice with. I don't think we're at the point where cast lead in an AR would be considered reliable enough for self defense purposes, are we?
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

Cast loads with drilled tips and then powder coated, sounds about as close as you can get to a fully functional self defense load with cast.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
Coyotekiller1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Coyotekiller1 »

The AMAX is a target round. If you want an expanding round, I'd go with the SST or an Interlock. What works on deer is sure to be devastating to a human being. That being said, hornady makes only the 190gr Interlock BTSP that would be suitable for anything like what you are asking. Me personally, I would just buy some Barnes TAC-TX bullets and use them. They are designed to be used for self defense or hunting. And they expand in a hurry.

Like others have said though, lead on target is the key, for in the house self defense, I'd use a good high capacity handgun.
"Pig Hammer"
CMMG 16" WASP 1-7
Surplus Ammo upper
BCM BCG w/ JP bolt kit
BCM Gunfighter charging handle
Troy Claymore brake
YHM FF tubular forend
P-series mount
Nikon P-223 3x32
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

for reliability, PNW subs are far more reliable for me than remington subs.
Coyotekiller1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Coyotekiller1 »

Also, something of note on the subsonics is the fact that a 220 grain bullet fired at less than 1100 fps is not gonna do any more damage than a .45 acp round, maybe will do less. If you are truly trying to defend yourself, I'd stick with supersonics that are designed for rapid expansion.
"Pig Hammer"
CMMG 16" WASP 1-7
Surplus Ammo upper
BCM BCG w/ JP bolt kit
BCM Gunfighter charging handle
Troy Claymore brake
YHM FF tubular forend
P-series mount
Nikon P-223 3x32