Best Subsonic Ammo for Defensive Use

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

harrishmasher
Silent But Deadly

Best Subsonic Ammo for Defensive Use

Post by harrishmasher »

What is the consensus here on best Subsonic ammo for defensive purposes? How does Hornady 208 Grain AMAX rate? I know about the Lehigh rounds, just a little too exotic and expensive for me. I can't seem to find any ballistic gel tests on subsonics. I know that move to slow to reliably expand. Any other rounds other than Lehigh that do?
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best Subsonic Ammo for Defensive Use

Post by jwb47 »

outlaw state bullets are suppose to expand at sub sonic velocity . they are not cheap and I dont know of any self defense ammo that is cheap. I have some I keep for deer hunting .
ohl_san
Silent But Deadly

Post by ohl_san »

Does a 200+ grain bullet have to expand to do damage in a defensive situation?

I think not, I would look for something accurate. 200+ grains at 900-1000 fps will do the job.
nothing is more powerful than a young boy's wish. Except an Apache. Apaches have machine guns & missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry an absolute death machine
TED
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I would not use existing subsonic for defense, but if you want to, use the most reliable. Probably Remington 220.
harrishmasher
Silent But Deadly

Post by harrishmasher »

300Blk wrote:I would not use existing subsonic for defense, but if you want to, use the most reliable. Probably Remington 220.
What about the Hornady 208 gr loading? The ones I bought actually say 300 Blackout on the box, not 300 Whisper. I persoanlly don;t know much about the red tipped AMAX bullet it is loaded with.
martineta
Silent But Deadly

Post by martineta »

I reload and have a pile of outlaw state bullets. They expand at subsonic and feed well in my AR. All that said, for home defense I would be grabbing my benelli 8 shot extended magazine loaded to the brim with 00 Buckshot.
M. Kenneth Burnett
Hunting Lodge Owner
Paraguay & Uruguay
Wo0dzm3n
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wo0dzm3n »

harrishmasher wrote:
300Blk wrote:I would not use existing subsonic for defense, but if you want to, use the most reliable. Probably Remington 220.
What about the Hornady 208 gr loading? The ones I bought actually say 300 Blackout on the box, not 300 Whisper. I persoanlly don;t know much about the red tipped AMAX bullet it is loaded with.
Do a search. I covered it a few months back the whisper and blk ammo from Hornady are exactly the same
Lions must not concern themselfs with the thoughts of lambs
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I tend to avoid subsonic lighter than about 215 grains. It is probably reliable with a suppressor. I
harrishmasher
Silent But Deadly

Post by harrishmasher »

harrishmasher wrote:
I did a bunch of searching and didn't find it. Maybe you can provide a link? Thanks!
Wo0dzm3n
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wo0dzm3n »

Lions must not concern themselfs with the thoughts of lambs