FMK Polymer Lower is NOT GTG!!!

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

318lll1927
Senior Silent Operator

FMK Polymer Lower is NOT GTG!!!

Post by 318lll1927 »

I had a chance today to hit the range and work with my new ar in .223 and 300blk, and also my new CVA Scout 300blk. First off, I have built numerous AR's in 223 and 300blk for my shooting buddies. Over eight or nine of the fifteen/sixteen I've built were on New Frontier Polymer Lowers. The NF lowers have proven themselves to be a rugged polymer lower. All the build's I've used them on are still up and running very hard. I have used damn near every one i have built over the last two months because they were all made for close friends.

At any rate, my own personal ar is on a BRP metal lower...runs good, no complaints. I let a buddy talk me out of my last NF lower, so I was down one AR. Well there was a ginshow last week and I was able to get a FMK AR-1 Patriot Lower for $120. I figured the New Frontier lowers have been awesome, so I can give this poly lower a chance....WRONG!!! I purchased the Stripped FMK lower Saturday @ 2p...Had it put together on my 223 upper and all Lower parts by 5P.....Sunday at 2p went to property to sight in new builds. I put about 30 rounds on FMK lower with some store bought, brass 223 ammo, not hot, just plain jane 55 grain. Went out today to tinker with sub loads for Scout single shot and decided to bring ARs too.

300 Blackout ar does wonderful at 75 yards(bottom center and bottom right) was with 125 Nosler, 18 gr h110, and 2.060 col...

Really impreesed with the Scout. I tried 220 gr Partitions and groups were horrible. I used an Ar load of 11.2 gr of a1680 @ 2.125 col with SMK 220's and thats what she likes so far.Top right target was from today. On the top right target u see one low shot and the two shots are just under the bullseye...the flyer happened to have a blown primer and was way louder than all other shots. With that being said the Scout is cable of one hole subsonic groups at 80 yards, I'm pleased

And finally, the big let-down by FMK! I literally put 2 shots down the tube bf I noticed the stock wabbling excessively. I just thought I forgot to tighten it after a previous strip cleaning the nite bf. I grabbed stock wrenched and snugged it up good...and it kept rotating....S.O.B!!! The top of buffer ring was split down the middle as u can see in pices where I am pointing. Not to mention I forgot when I did clean the nite bf I also stripped handgrip screw. I figured being 6'2", 275lbs, I have been known to overtighten a bolt or two. However I havenever stripped a NF lower! Lesson to be learned, FMK has a long way to go to even begin to compete in the AR rifle game.
This lower lasted about 35 shots...the 3d printed lower on youtube lasted 6!
Now I have got to find an address for them and send their product back....
DULLYJAY

Re: FMK Polymer Lower is NOT GTG!!!

Post by DULLYJAY »

Man, that sucks. Thx 4 sharing. I'm picking up a NFA lower tmrw. Think it will just be used for a 22lr upper. Hope they fix for you w/ no issues.
318lll1927
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 318lll1927 »

I sent an email to FMK's "contact us" link on their website last nite and received this email last nite...

Thank you for filling out the contact us form we will review your information and get back to you as soon as possible.

Best Regards

FMK Firearms

I am assuming thats an automated msg. The lower was stripped last nite and I will be sending it to them first thing this morning. I will keep y'all posted.
tedscissors
Silent But Deadly

Post by tedscissors »

Please keep advised on lower issue and solution.

The scope on the AR, is that the nikon p223 fixed 3x ? How do you like it ? Any thoughts on it on a 300 blackout ? Looks like the nikon mount as well.

thanks
onley11
Senior Silent Operator

Post by onley11 »

Tagged to follow, also interested on the p223 on a 300 blk ar...
STF
Senior Silent Operator

Post by STF »

subscribed.
otto sear

Post by otto sear »

You have steered me away from ever buying one. :x
I thought it was odd that I never saw a .308 plastic lower. I have bought forged lowers as low as $70 before the panic. :P
it just never seemed like you saved enough $$$.
onley11
Senior Silent Operator

Post by onley11 »

To be clear, the New Frontier lowers are ok, but the FMK are not.
My Carbon 15 lower has been through a lot and it still going strong...
318lll1927
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 318lll1927 »

The Nikon fixed 3x is a great scope for an AR. It has 1/2" adjustments and really shines with the 300 blackout bc with a 300 yard effective range, its perfect for deer sized game. I have mounted it on at least five different ar's and it is a very durable little scope. The nikon mounts give you enuff height to get a magpul flip up rear sight under the scope too if necessary. Believe it or not both the scope are rings are available at Wal mart...thats where I got them.

I sent the lower in this afternoon and got me a trcking number too so I will know the second it arrives.

I remember getting alum lowers on special for $60 shipped less than a year ago....damn things have changed
318lll1927
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 318lll1927 »

FMK sent me tracking info and new lower is in route. They received it around the 18th so turn around time is good....lets hope product is too!

This message was sent to you at the request of FMK to notify you that the electronic shipment information below has been transmitted to UPS. The physical package(s) may or may not have actually been tendered to UPS for shipment. To verify the actual transit status of your shipment, click on the tracking link below or contact FMK directly.

Important Delivery Information

Adult Signature Required - Adult must be at least 21 years of age
Scheduled Delivery: 28-March-2013