300 BLK Savage Build

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

savageshooter23
Senior Silent Operator

300 BLK Savage Build

Post by savageshooter23 »

Hey guys. I'm currently working on a 300 BLK build on a Savage Edge 223. I just got my Barrel in from E.R. Shaw a couple weeks ago and got a chance to run some ammo through it and make up some reloads for it. I ordered this barrel as a 22 inch sporter contour to directly fall into place of the stock 223 barrel. I also lapped the action, and installed a Rifle Basix trigger, filled the butt stock up with foam to stiffen it, and filled the forearm with carbon fiber tubing and epoxy to stiffen it, and finally free floated the barrel channel. As far as accuracy goes, it shoots great. The Double Tap 110 gr Barnes black tip was shooting 1 inch or less at 100 yards the first time out. Dug a slug out of the berm and it looked just like one of Barne's advertisements. PNW 125gr Nosler ballistic tips shot 1.5-2 inches. Hornady 208gr AMAX's subsonics shot about 2-3 inches at 100 yards. All of this was just shooting off a large rock in the field so no lead sled here. I went home and loaded up a bunch of reloads to try. I loaded up a variety of bullets from the standard Barnes 110 TSX FB HP, to the 130 gr Barnes TSX BT HP, to the 110 gr hornady VMAX. With H110 and Lilgun as my powders with federal 205 primers. Eager to see what the 300 BLK was capable of out of a longer barrel, I took my chronograph with me. The Results were simply astounding. 19 grains of Lilgun propelled the 130 gr tsx to an average of 2405 fps and 19.5 grains propelled it to a 5 shot average of 2435 fps with light pressure signs. Just lightly flattened primers. No ejector mark or case head swelling. 20.5 grains of H110 propelled the 110gr Barnes tsx to 2550 fps and the VMAX to 2535 fps. The VMAX grouped 1-1.25 MOA. while both Barnes grouped about 1.5 MOA. I was expecting more velocity from the 110 grain bullets after seeing what the 130's were doing but I don't think there's enough case capacity to support velocity much faster. Clearly the 130 were the most efficient out of this gun. I want to pick up some Accurate AAC 1680 powder and try some Berger 155 vlds in it. I have a feeling I might be able to break 2200 fps with the way things have been going, but it seems that finding a jug of 1680 is harder than finding bigfoot. Assuming I can reach said 2200 fps, the Berger vld will maintain fragmentation velocity out to about 220 yards but arrive with almost 1130 ft lbs of energy. In fact it would not go subsonic till about 770 yards and will still have almost 430 ft lbs of energy at that range. Should be fun trying to ring the gong way out there with it. Now on to the bad news, As with most bolt actions in this caliber that aren't controlled round feed, ejection is problematic even after all the tweaks other folks have suggested, however I have SSS's savage ejector upgrade kit on the way so hopefully that will help. I'll post some pics when I get a chance in a few days. I just loaded up another batch of 130 gr TSX's and am playing with the COAL and charge weights to try to bring the groups in to I'll see how that goes. Till then, savageshooter out.
johnny-bravo
Silent Operator

Re: 300 BLK Savage Build

Post by johnny-bravo »

I believe this has gotta be one of the longest paragraphs i've seen in a while
savageshooter23
Senior Silent Operator

Yeah it was a bit of a run on wasn't it? The ejector upgrade kit came in and with a bit of tinkering, I got the rifle ejecting empties like a champ. Just picked up a jug of A5744 and some nosler 150 grain ballistic tips. Since I couldn't find any A1680 anywhere, 5744 was the next best thing. I'm hoping to hit 2200 fps out of my 22 inch tube with them. Definately possible with 1680 but I don't think I'll be able to push the envelope as much with 5744. I'm not one that likes to run on the ragged edge of safety either. Once the primers start to look flat, thats enough for me. Out of a full length tube this cartridge really does match the 30-30 19.5gr of Lilgun and the barnes 130gr tsx got nearly 1700 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle! I am really impressed so far. Only downside is I gotta wait till next fall to start laying deer over with it!
savageshooter23
Senior Silent Operator

Well, today I shot probably the most accurate reload I have tried so far in this gun. Best 5 shot group of the day had all shots touching with one flyer about 1/2 inch off at 100 yards. Probably had something to due with massive amounts of coffee consumed prior. It was a 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip over 19.5 grains of A5744 with a COAL of 2.28. Thats longer than an AR mag will allow but still have plenty of room in my savage. I forgot to write down the exact chrony numbers but it was around 2130 fps. My data lists 19.8 as the max for the 150 gr Sierra Match King so with no pressure signs so far, I'm gonna see if I can squeak that last little bit of velocity out of it if it doesn't blow the groups. I have a feeling 20.3 to 20.5 is gonna be the max since thats all that will fit in the case without compressing the load and my rifle consistently starts to show flattened primers once I get over .5-.7 listed max but as with any new load, I start low and work up. Also shot a rip snorting fast load. 20.5 grains of LilGun send a 110 grain vmax at an average 2600 fps with a 5 shot extreme spread of only 5fps and very light pressure signs! Accuracy was't stellar however, and was running about 2 MOA. In any rate, here's a picture of the rifle, and one of the 5 shot groups I shot today with the 150 gr Nosler Ballistic tips. Would Probably be an easy half moa if it wasn't for the coffee jitters. Again shooting off a rock in the field and not a lead sled. I loaded a few down to 1800 fps to test expansion. I'll test that in water jugs tomorrow.