Latest Speer book and Speer TNT 125gr

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

M_Derelict
Silent Operator

Latest Speer book and Speer TNT 125gr

Post by M_Derelict »

Does the latest Speer book have loads for the 300 AAC Blackout?

I am thinking of buying it, but not if it doesn't have loads for some of the 300BLK favorites (like the TNT 125gr). I have been digging through this site and others for lil'gun loads for the TNT 125gr and what little load data I am finding is kinda all over the place. Being a paranoid, I am hesitant to jump in with only crowd-sourced load data. I have found some consistency in what people are reporting when using H110, but Lil'Gun seems to be pretty variable and several of them are over max loads with this powder and similar bullets in the books I already have. There is also quite a bit of variation in COL.

Here is what I have seen reported so far:
14.9-19.2gr of Lil'Gun (from various on-line sources)
2.010-2.060" OAL (from various on-line sources)

Am I being too paranoid?
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Latest Speer book and Speer TNT 125gr

Post by tallburnedmidget »

To answer your question I have no idea if the latest Speer book has what you are looking for.

Though I know its not the Speer TNT 125gr, it appears that he Hodgdon site (http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp) has load data for the 130g Speer Hollow Point.

You may be able to contact Speer to see if you could use the 130g Speer HP COAL and minimum load data to work from. Just figured I would present a possible alternative for you :)
M_Derelict
Silent Operator

Post by M_Derelict »

Good idea. I sent them a email on the topic.

Thanks!
chaotik

Post by chaotik »

I just received the Speer Manual #14 today, and unfortunately looking through the contents I do NOT find any data for 300 Blackout.

The Hodgdon 2013 Annual Manual has some data on the 130 gr Speer HP, but nothing for a 125 gr Speer bullet, but this appears to be the same data as on their load data website.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Not everyone got the memo that 300 BLK is happening. But I think the message is out now - the slower crowd will get that stuff taken care of for 2014.
BC98
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BC98 »

I have not heard of any plans for load development to commence for the Speer manual. I was also told that there were currently no plans for Alliant to provide any load data for their powders. Just an FYI.
darr3239
Silent But Deadly

Post by darr3239 »

I haven't bought any bullet manufacturer's reloading book so far this century.
"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
chaotik

Post by chaotik »

I have the latest Nosler manual #7 and the Hornady 9th edition - both have data on the 300 Blackout cartridge.
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

I have found 18 to 19 grains of lil-gun or H-110,ww296 shoots good with 125 sierra or 130 hornady grain bullets.Just start at 18 grains and work up.Your groups will be better with one charge over the other.I won't go over 19.1 grains ww296 on my loads.I'm not going to risk ruining my rifle over a few extra FPS.Most of my groups run 1 1/2 inch at 100 yards.Good enough for me.
When I try the speer tnt I'm pretty sure 18 to 19 grains ww296 or lil-gun will be just as accurate.I bet your rifle would do the same.
gwhouston

Post by gwhouston »

Got my Hornady edition 9 this week and it has the longest section of 300 AAC in it. Covers from 110 gr to 225 gr. Nosler had a section but if I remember, it covered 110 gr to 150 gr. I looked for the 300 in Speer, Lyman, Sierra, and Lee. Didn't see any sections on it. Kinda strange as this cartridge shows no sign of letting up. If anything, getting stronger. Will have to rely on manufacturer websites for now.
Greg

All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.