Cleaning Lead out of a Silencer

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Mach
Silent Operator

Cleaning Lead out of a Silencer

Post by Mach »

I ran upon this post on another forum:

http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-54042.html

This guy used vinegar and hydrogen peroxide at a 1/1 solution to clean the lead and other fouling out of his silencer. This mixture is not safe for aluminum but stainless it was ok to use.
What are your thoughts and would you recommend doing it?
QuietMike
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cleaning Lead out of a Silencer

Post by QuietMike »

It works, but it produces lead acetate, a very dangerous substance that will cause lead to leach through unprotected skin. It also must be disposed of as haz-mat. If caught pouring it out in your yard or down the drain, you'll be in heap big trouble.
Mach
Silent Operator

Post by Mach »

Yeah I work in a plant and have been the lead environmental rep for our facility. I have sense rolled out of that position and now just help over see it now. I'll come up with a proper procedure for handling the stuff and share it with everyone.
Mach
Silent Operator

Post by Mach »

This is the first draft. I’m certain it needs to be improved upon. If you have any input it will be greatly appreciated. I feel this should be a living document and remember this is just guidance. You proceed at your own risk.
Guys I have attached three MSDS sheet to help handle these items. I recognize three items of concern when dealing with cleaning lead with Peracetic Acid (white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide). Fist is dealing with the Peracetic Acid, next with the lead acetate, and then with the rinse water and lead acetate. I have seen people address the Peracetic Acid and Lead Acetate mixtures but don't mention rising what to do with rinse water. The rinse water is dangerous also so you don’t want to be rinsing you parts of in the back yard on to the ground. Then the ground becomes contaminated with Lead Acetate power. I don't want you children or grandchildren running around in the back yard with this stuff present. Also this should be a two person job. Have a second person there for your safety. They will be manning the spry nozzle if you become sprayed by the solutions you are handling.
Each step needs to be controlled. Everyone present needs to be in the proper Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) listed in the MSDSes provided. Review the MSDS sheets a don the PPE that is required for the most dangerous of material being handled and ensure that it is compatible throughout the processes. I would recommend getting two small plastic size kiddy size pools from Wal-Mart or such. One pool or containment will be for safety only. Have a water hose and with a spray nozzle ready in case of an accident. This is you safety shower area you remove your clothing in the pool area and shower off in it. I know this sounds like over kill but if you are wearing a gallon of Lead Acetate solution, you don’t want you helper rinsing it off of you and onto the ground.
I would recommend using the second small size kiddy size plastic pool to conduct your cleaning processes in to act as a secondary containment. I would handle all steps of the process with in the containment area and outside of your house. That means mixing your Peracetic Acid solution with in the contained area through to the final rinse and drying of the part and within the contained area. You don’t what to turn your home into a superfund site.
Remember each item will become contaminated with Lead Acetate power, and Lead Acetate solutions, aqueous and acidic. That would be your dip bucket, rinse buckets, and gloves. Note I would use large mouth gallon jugs with plastic screw lids. And mark these containers before you start. Also, ensure that the reactions have stopped gassing before you place the lids back on. This is important don’t secure the lids while the solutions are gassing. The containers will build pressure and pop the lids spraying the surround area and people in the area.
Peracetic Acid
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9926439
Lead Acetate
http://www.sciencestuff.com/msds/C1970.html
Lead Acetate solution
http://www.sciencestuff.com/msds/C1972.html
Texandy
Silent Operator

Post by Texandy »

How about lemishine?

Is that citric acid or acetic acid? Or both?
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

There is also the possibility of using sulfuric acid to produce lead sulfate, which is far safer to handle.
sfmccormick

Post by sfmccormick »

Is there a recommended solution(dip) that is less hazardous for cleaning copper and other non-lead fouling out of a silencer? I don't shoot lead bullets out of mine, but it sure does get dirty!