How to fill out an ATF Form 1 to SBR your lower

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Re: How to fill out an ATF Form 1 to SBR your lower

Post by rjacobs »

fitz5011 wrote:Therefore according to the instructions for Form 1 you do not need to engrave an existing firearm (made and stamped by someone else) to be used with a SBR, you only need the manufactures info already stamped on the receiver.
Im guessing this is your question? or what?

But no, that is not true. you HAVE TO engrave your name, city, state on the gun as you become the maker, not the manufacturer. There is an ATF letter out there that I could find for you if you me to.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
redfernsoljah
Silent Operator

Post by redfernsoljah »

But no, that is not true. you HAVE TO engrave your name, city, state on the gun as you become the maker, not the manufacturer. There is an ATF letter out there that I could find for you if you me to.

That is correct, when you manufacture the sbr. The ony time you do not have to engrave is when it is 1st made and comes from the manufacturer as a sbr.
- Steve

Misspellings and grammatical errors courtesy of my Ipad Mini.
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

redfernsoljah wrote:

That is correct, when you manufacture the sbr. The ony time you do not have to engrave is when it is 1st made and comes from the manufacturer as a sbr.
yes, but then it comes on a Form 4 and has already been registered with the ATF as a Title II firearm and has to be transferred through a Class 3 SOT same way a suppressor or machine gun has to.

Please dont get the term "maker" and "manufacturer" confused.

When you build an SBR using a Form 1, you are the MAKER, not the manufacturer.

You are NEVER the manufacturer of an SBR. Unless possibly if you build one on an 80% lower, but I dont know of anybody who has done that.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
Jon Q

Post by Jon Q »

Just want to double check before I mail in my form 1 and trust copy.
Only one copy of the trust?
No personal passport photo needed with a trust?

Thanks
FirefighterCT
Silent But Deadly

Post by FirefighterCT »

Jon Q wrote:Just want to double check before I mail in my form 1 and trust copy.
Only one copy of the trust?
No personal passport photo needed with a trust?

Thanks
Yes.
No.
boardsnbikes

Post by boardsnbikes »

I'm completing a Form 1 this week but thinking of the future. I have an AAC 300BLK upper for the build but was curious if that prevents me from using another upper, in another caliber (e.g., 10" 5.56, whatever), for the designated Form 1 lower? Do I have to alter Form 1 to include other calibers? Thanks.

FWIW...I've planned this build for over a year and I'm finally doing it 8)

boardsnbikes
FirefighterCT
Silent But Deadly

Post by FirefighterCT »

boardsnbikes wrote:I'm completing a Form 1 this week but thinking of the future. I have an AAC 300BLK upper for the build but was curious if that prevents me from using another upper, in another caliber (e.g., 10" 5.56, whatever), for the designated Form 1 lower? Do I have to alter Form 1 to include other calibers? Thanks.

FWIW...I've planned this build for over a year and I'm finally doing it 8)

boardsnbikes
Not at all. Once you register a lower as a SBR, you can run ANY upper on the registered lower. Just MAKE SURE that you retain the original configuration as registered. As long as you can "restore"he registered configuration (caliber, overall length, etc.) you're good to go.

If you decide to sell or modify the registered configuration (ie: You want to sell the upper that you used to register the SBR), you will need to submit a request to the ATF.

All of the above does not take into consideration state or local laws! Make sure you are compliant in your area. As an example, here in CT, I can't have a flash hider even on a registered SBR unless the registered lower is a "pre-ban" lower.
boardsnbikes

Post by boardsnbikes »

FirefighterCT wrote:All of the above does not take into consideration state or local laws! Make sure you are compliant in your area. As an example, here in CT, I can't have a flash hider even on a registered SBR unless the registered lower is a "pre-ban" lower.
I'm in FL. No restrictions at the state level, for now. I'm taking a bit of gamble if anything serious and quick comes on the the federal level. I don't think it will but...
shabba
Senior Silent Operator

Post by shabba »

what is a cirtificate of compliance? i have a trust, and it has no papers with that wording on any of it.
also, on 4 something it has a blank box, then it asks barrel " and then it asks , oh im confused now! i dont have the paper in front of me any more! i just know there is a box i couldnt figure out what to put in it!
if you can figure out what im saying please answer the...?! thanx
a wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer Bruce Lee
Slaine777
Silent Operator

Post by Slaine777 »

shabba wrote:what is a cirtificate of compliance?
Certificate of Compliance is ATF Form 5330.20
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-20.pdf
shabba wrote:also, on 4 something it has a blank box, then it asks barrel " and then it asks , oh im confused now! i dont have the paper in front of me any more! i just know there is a box i couldnt figure out what to put in it!
if you can figure out what im saying please answer the...?! thanx
rjacobs wrote:4a. Name/City/State of the original manufacturer of your lower. Mine was Aero Precision Inc. Tacoma, WA. Put what is already engraved on your lower in here.

4b. Short Barrel Rifle. I dont know if they will take SBR, but I put Short Barrel Rifle and was approved

Most of the following pertains to the MAIN upper that you are going to run on this gun. This is the upper that you have to maintain control of to make your SBR lower legal. I.E. you ALWAYS have to be able to put this upper on your lower. You can run what ever other uppers you want, but an upper that meets this description has to be in your possession(doesnt have to be on the gun, can be in your safe or what not) at all times. If you decide to sell the upper that matches what you put here you need to send a letter of change to the ATF stating what you changed to i.e. I sold the 10.5" 5.56 upper and now only possess a 9" 300blk upper. A letter of change isnt a big deal to send and you may or may not ever get a reply from the ATF. Some people will argue this one and say it really doesnt matter, but for me, I probably go overboard with this stuff.

4c. I put 5.56. I think my lower says multi. DONT PUT MULTI. I have heard of forms getting kicked back for putting Multi in there.

4d. The model number on the lower already. Mine was AP15 as that is the model number Aero Precision put on it.

4e. length of barrel: I put 10.5 as that is the 5.56 upper that I have to run on it(see above rant). If you are going to run an 8.2" Noveske or 9" AAC put that on there. Whatever will be your MAIN upper(again, see rant above).

4f. Overall length: I put 29.5 as that was what the 10.5" barrel makes it. I found my number off of either silencertalk.com or M4Carbine.net, one of those. So do the math based off of mine and you will be good to go.

4g. Serial Number: Put the serial number that the original manufacturer put on the lower.

4h. Additional Description: This is where you put what you are going to engrave on the gun. Either your name, city, state or your trust name, city, state. So mine says John Doe, Anywhere, AA. You can abbreviate the state and that's it. You used to be able to abbreviate your first name. Not any more supposedly.

4i. I put Any Lawful Purpose and know a ton of people who have put this and gotten approved. Collecting would probably work too. Zombie Killing doesnt work.

4j. NO(unless you have a previous SBR lower that you took out of the SBR registry, but if you have that, you probably arent reading this guide).
Which section of 4 do you have a question about?