Difference in precision with suppressor? (Bolt Gun)

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Difference in precision with suppressor? (Bolt Gun)

Post by .222 »

I just built a 16” bolt gun but I’m in a holding pattern waiting on paperwork for my suppressor. Once it arrives, I anticipate I’ll only shoot the rifle with the suppressor attached (direct thread). I’ve started working up some loads and am getting decent groups but still chasing a solid sub-MOA load.

So I’m wondering if I’m wasting my time – should I hold off on load development until I have the suppressor attached? I expect some shift in accuracy (point of impact) but, assuming I find it, will my “Holy Grail load” still be “Holy”? Have you noticed a difference in precision with and without a can?
WasDustyJacket
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Difference in precision with suppressor? (Bolt Gun)

Post by WasDustyJacket »

It depends on the can, ammo, threading, barrel, etc.

My experience is that the most accurate round without a suppressor is also the most accurate round with one.
Shoot softly, and carry a big clip.
darr3239
Silent But Deadly

Post by darr3239 »

Rob would be the one to chime in on this one. From what I have heard and read, silencers more often than not increase accuracy.
"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
caliplt
Silent But Deadly

Post by caliplt »

darr3239 wrote:Rob would be the one to chime in on this one. From what I have heard and read, silencers more often than not increase accuracy.
People still incorrectly call them silencers?
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

With some of mine I get slightly better accuracy; with others the accuracy is slightly worse. So, YMMV.

So, since any day at the range is better than not going to the range, go ahead and work up some loads and then try them again when your suppressor arrives. In 300 BLK, I've found very little difference in velocity between suppressed and non suppressed.
WasDustyJacket
Senior Silent Operator

Post by WasDustyJacket »

caliplt wrote:
darr3239 wrote:Rob would be the one to chime in on this one. From what I have heard and read, silencers more often than not increase accuracy.
That is one of their names. Don't fight the tide........
darr3239
Silent But Deadly

Post by darr3239 »

caliplt wrote:People still incorrectly call them silencers?
When describing what the device does, most people use the word suppressor, which is a more accurate term. When describing the device, then silencer is the appropriate legal term.

Silencer was the name given to the item by the inventor, Hiram Maxim. It is also the name ATF used in the beginning, and is still using it today, on all legal documents.

I also referred to it as a silencer, when mentioning Robert Silvers, since he works for AAC and that's what they call it. In their FAQ section they do slip a little and refer to them as sound suppressors.
"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Rumph

Post by Rumph »

caliplt wrote:
I'm inclined to agree with you, but a friend of mine who happens to be a major manufacturer of such items frequently calls them "silencers". What can I say?
16" Wilson 1:7 with .106" gas port @ carbine length
Syrac adj. gas block
Std. wt. BCG, buffer & spring
WasDustyJacket
Senior Silent Operator

Post by WasDustyJacket »

caliplt wrote:
Be glad you are not in the UK where they are sometimes referred to as mufflers., and often as attenuators.