CMMG current reliability ?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tlen

CMMG current reliability ?

Post by tlen »

Have previously reported CMMG reliability issues been resolved ? Barrel concentricity problems fixed ?
I'm considering a basic 16" 300 Blackout upper, 30-BF8-C0. Is this a carbine or pistol gas model ? Any feedback pro or con appreciated.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Re: CMMG current reliability ?

Post by 20X11 »

I bought a 300blk 16" CMMG barrel from Midway a few months back...Built a rifle and it has EXCEEDED all of my expectations. It has been incredibly accurate, feeds reliably whether I use factory ammo or my handloads, and the gas system has functioned perfectly without modification.
I have a Battlecomp compensator mounted on it and have had no issues indicating concentricity problems. I highly recommend the CMMG barrels and will have no hesitation in ordering additional CMMG barrels in the future.
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

I just bought a CMMG upper in 300 Blackout and CMMG MK-4 lower seperately about 2 weeks ago as it worked out to get me the best deal, strangely enough, for the complete gun. I put them together, checked everything out, lubed up the bolt, loaded up some mags and hit the range. The gun would run fairly consistently with various 110 and 115 grain supers, but had a few failures to feed. It would not cycle at all with the Remington or PNW 220 grain subsonics that I had on hand.

When shooting I noticed that the (unmarked) bolt and carrier was extremely tight and stiff. It definitely was not running dry but it was hard to manually cycle the action and the bolt stuck out of battery several times. I swapped in an old Colt bolt and carrier that I had in my kit and the gun ran subsonics and supers just fine with it. So I figured that all I had to do was run some supers with the original bolt and carrier to wear in the gun and all would be fine.

After putting the original bolt carrier group in the gun to start the wearing in process, I noticed that it was suddenly much smoother. And now the gun runs fine with everything that I feed it. Go figure?
AzAr

Post by AzAr »

20X11 wrote:I bought a 300blk 16" CMMG barrel from Midway a few months back...Built a rifle and it has EXCEEDED all of my expectations. It has been incredibly accurate, feeds reliably whether I use factory ammo or my handloads, and the gas system has functioned perfectly without modification.
I have a Battlecomp compensator mounted on it and have had no issues indicating concentricity problems. I highly recommend the CMMG barrels and will have no hesitation in ordering additional CMMG barrels in the future.

Good, glad to hear it. Converted my DPMS Sportical with a CMMG barrel Friday. Now...to find a reasonably priced flash suppressor or thread protector and I am good.
DPMS Sportical converted to 300 Blackout.
16" carbine using the CMMG 1 in 7 twist barrel.
Much joy.
tlen

Post by tlen »

Had my FFL call CMMG Friday to inquire about ordering a 300 BLK upper. Was told during the last week CMMG has received 6 months of orders. Needless to say they didn't want to talk about taking my order nor when an upper might be available......
Alohakid

Post by Alohakid »

tlen wrote:Had my FFL call CMMG Friday to inquire about ordering a 300 BLK upper. Was told during the last week CMMG has received 6 months of orders. Needless to say they didn't want to talk about taking my order nor when an upper might be available......
WOW! :shock: That was Dec 29th... hate to hear where they stand today... regardless, my local gun shop ordered me a 12" 300 BLK upper this past week... one word for me, PATIENCEISAVIRTUE! :mrgreen:
"When the people fear their government, there is TYRANNY; when the government fears the people, there is LIBERTY" -- Thomas Jefferson
Wrxkyle

Post by Wrxkyle »

i'd really like to know if anyone has checked their recent barrels for concentricity to see if they've fixed the problem or if anyone's used the ar stoner pistol barrel from midway?

concentricity wouldn't blaringly show up with just a compensator or flash hider on there. i'm looking for a good <10" blk pistol barrel and the cmmg would be a first pick if not for barrel concentricity issues, i can't find any current info on if they have fixed the problem, nor do i know how to begin to check concentricity without a lathe and run-out gauge. saving $100-200 on a barrel isn't worth baffle striking a $1000 after stamp and 6 month wait suppressor.
imarangemaster

Post by imarangemaster »

I have a CMMG 1/7 WASP flat top upper with rail gas block. Reliability 100% and great accuracy.... VERY HAPPY!

PS barrel/bore is perfectly concentric!
flgunner

Post by flgunner »

I picked up one of the Midway CMMG flat top uppers in June and have run about 700 rounds downrange on a PSA lower. No issues.
toxicity

Post by toxicity »

I bought 9 GMMG lower parts kits during the big hoax...... I have always used CMMG LPK's for assembly and never had any issues. This time I have noticed inconsistencies in polish, fit, and finish and have had to hand fit many parts into dead on spec lowers and for the first time. I have had a safety lever and magazine catch from different kits actually break under normal use. Maybe the rush production to fill orders caused some issues with QC, I hope this is temporary.

That being said-my local FFL has a NIB 16"CMMG Flattop 300AAC upper w/stainless (raw) barrel 1:7 twist ( I think)b but I can give you his number if anyone wants it. He does do transfers and will ship to FFL from St. Augustine, FL