Powders for 300 Blk Out

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

yondering
Silent But Deadly

Re: Powders for 300 Blk Out

Post by yondering »

B.Villains wrote:Has anyone used win 231 to load supersonic blackout? I have that particular pistol powder for my 9mm and was curious if I could use it for a shallow rifle cartridge like the 300 blk.
231 would be a poor choice for supersonic blackout loads. Velocity will be low, and it most likely will not cycle the action. It would be a great choice for subsonic bolt gun loads though; like Unique or other powders in that general burn rate, it will produce much less muzzle blast than powders that will cycle a semi auto.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

entropy556 wrote:I've read a lot here. Lots of good information. I thought saw a recipe that some one used Alliant 2400. I got a good deal on a couple of pounds of 2400. I'd like to use it for supersonic in a 110 to 125 grain bullet. I'm shooting a 16" carbine length barrel.

Thanks

Jake
2400 actually works pretty well. Max velocity will be a bit slower than comparable loads with H110 or Lil'Gun (about 100 fps less in my 11" barrel), but it's pretty consistent. I've been using 17gr under a Speer 125 TNT for right at 2000 fps.

2400, like H110, does have more muzzle flash than Lil'Gun.
entropy556

Post by entropy556 »

Thanks yondering. :)
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

Yep, but no real mods here, so it's just a free for all. I started some powder specific threads in handloading, but it doesn't see to be catching on. Damned shame as the site could be the hub of 300 BLK, just a lack of interest/effort.
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.
Rumph

Post by Rumph »

Maryland_Shooter wrote:Yep, but no real mods here, so it's just a free for all. I started some powder specific threads in handloading, but it doesn't see to be catching on. Damned shame as the site could be the hub of 300 BLK, just a lack of interest/effort.
Couldn't agree more. The lack of any kind of organization in the Handloading forum makes it one notch above totally worthless. Pity. At the very least, load data should be grouped into supersonic, subsonic MOR and subsonic semi-auto.
16" Wilson 1:7 with .106" gas port @ carbine length
Syrac adj. gas block
Std. wt. BCG, buffer & spring
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Rumph wrote:
Maryland_Shooter wrote:Yep, but no real mods here, so it's just a free for all. I started some powder specific threads in handloading, but it doesn't see to be catching on. Damned shame as the site could be the hub of 300 BLK, just a lack of interest/effort.
Couldn't agree more. The lack of any kind of organization in the Handloading forum makes it one notch above totally worthless. Pity. At the very least, load data should be grouped into supersonic, subsonic MOR and subsonic semi-auto.
Well Robert agreed to annoint a moderator; I obviously am not a candidate, some others declined.

If we had a mod who enfored rules and that trash pile of a thread running 40 pages was locked, you could make a vast improvement.

Volunteers?

ETA: As I stated before, I am moving my load data on 12/1/12 if the handloading forum clusterfuck isn't resolved and posting there.

I'm not interested in being the only one posting organized, complete data.

My new site will be:

http://www.DontBlowUpYourFreakingRifleYouWingNut.com/
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

BobinNC wrote:Hodgdon Lil'Gun yields the highest velocities at the lowest pressures with: 110gr, 125gr, 130gr, and 135gr, bullets, and is suitable for sub-sonic loads. Hodgdon On-line Reloading Center http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp gives you loads and pressures all from a 16" barrel. My rifle is a 16" DD Ambush.... IMHO, YMMV...
Amazing how you say that because it seems everyone here is adamant that Lil'Gun is not a good powder for 300 BLK.

I mean I read it on the site, so it must be true, right?

:roll:

Even funnier - I was calling around looking for A-A1680 and the guy who loads for the 300 BLK told me, try Lil'Gun - it works great. :lol:

Pink_Vapor
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pink_Vapor »

entropy556 wrote:I've read a lot here. Lots of good information. I thought saw a recipe that some one used Alliant 2400. I got a good deal on a couple of pounds of 2400. I'd like to use it for supersonic in a 110 to 125 grain bullet. I'm shooting a 16" carbine length barrel.
I've seen it as well without data, Alliant's page doesn't list a thing for the 300BLK.
I've finally have 10" SBR stamp, pistol length, bullets, brass, TBAC stamp, and pounds of 2400.
Does anyone have recipes for teh 208AMAX and 2400 powder subs?
Thanks!
Hogan billet, Geissele SSA-E, 10" SS 300BLK McGowan, Seekins MSCR V2, NiB BCG, TBAC
Mega billet, 6.5 Grendel 18" SS McGowan, Geissele NM Hi Speed, NiB BCG, Magpul PRS, MCSR guard, TBAC :)