Clean burning powder for subs (pics)

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Re: Clean burning powder for subs (pics)

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

Because there are much better option maybe? :shock:
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.
Rumph

Post by Rumph »

Maryland_Shooter wrote:
Rumph wrote:Interesting. It seems that it should run with that load and lightweight buffer. I'm building a dedicated subsonic 1:7, 16" with a Wilson Combat barrel that has a 0.106" gas port and I don't think it can be much larger than that as the gas tube is only 0.116". Since Wilson says the barrel is "optimized for subsonic", I hope it works. I'm planning to start with 240 MKs and H4198 and IMR4227 powders. The 240s should allow me to get my pressures up a bit and hopefully avoid A1680.
Inside diameter is supposed to be .182-.185 according to a few sources I checked.

Most certainly NOT .116

I'll check one . . . .
I just checked one and it came out at .112. I'm sure they all vary a little. If you don't have calipers, just try sticking a 1/8" (.125") drill bit in there - it won't go. I have a Wilson barrel on order and one of my selection criteria was a gas port near the size of the gas tube.
16" Wilson 1:7 with .106" gas port @ carbine length
Syrac adj. gas block
Std. wt. BCG, buffer & spring
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Rumph wrote:
Maryland_Shooter wrote:
Rumph wrote:Interesting. It seems that it should run with that load and lightweight buffer. I'm building a dedicated subsonic 1:7, 16" with a Wilson Combat barrel that has a 0.106" gas port and I don't think it can be much larger than that as the gas tube is only 0.116". Since Wilson says the barrel is "optimized for subsonic", I hope it works. I'm planning to start with 240 MKs and H4198 and IMR4227 powders. The 240s should allow me to get my pressures up a bit and hopefully avoid A1680.
Inside diameter is supposed to be .182-.185 according to a few sources I checked.

Most certainly NOT .116

I'll check one . . . .
I just checked one and it came out at .112. I'm sure they all vary a little. If you don't have calipers, just try sticking a 1/8" (.125") drill bit in there - it won't go. I have a Wilson barrel on order and one of my selection criteria was a gas port near the size of the gas tube.
Yeah, I found some sources after I posted claiming it was near .116 . . . odd then that the guy at Paladin Machine said drill it at .125 and run an adjustable gas block.

Good eye, thanks.

ETA: I thought this might be helpful; a pretty good article:

Good Article >>>Click Here<<<

When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Rumph

Post by Rumph »

Good article. It certainly explains why the pistol length gas systems work so well for subs. BTW, I suspect the guy that suggested a .125" drill was just choosing a commonly available size that was slightly larger than the tube size.
Syrac adj. gas block
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Rumph wrote:Good article. It certainly explains why the pistol length gas systems work so well for subs. BTW, I suspect the guy that suggested a .125" drill was just choosing a commonly available size that was slightly larger than the tube size.
I'm certainly gonna look into that . . .

Smoke
Silent But Deadly

Post by Smoke »

Rumph wrote:Good article. It certainly explains why the pistol length gas systems work so well for subs. BTW, I suspect the guy that suggested a .125" drill was just choosing a commonly available size that was slightly larger than the tube size.
I "think" you are correct .. It would also make up for a very slight Hole / Block misalignment
most people building AR's forget the hole is placed figuring in the thickness of the front handguard retainer
FFL, SOT

lover of things that go bang or silently make things fall over C:
Rumph

Post by Rumph »

DEVIL DOC wrote:
Why do you want to avoid A1680?

Devil Doc, sorry, I didn't notice your question until now - 3 weeks late is better than never I guess.

Anyway, I ran into some scary lot to lot inconsistencies with Accurate powders a long time ago, and have avoided them ever since. I've done OK with IMR over the years, but I'm an absolute fanboy of Hodgdon powders. I shoot tons of H4198SC, Varget and H1000.
Syrac adj. gas block
DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Post by DEVIL DOC »

All I use is Hodgdon powders until I ran subs propelled by H4198 and was absolutely digested by how dirty it was and how it wouldn't cycle properly without the suppressor. I like the A1680 now that I have tested it.
Shot placement is a key fundamental which most tired people tend to sleep on, and dark earth is still the new pink. Save the DI's VIVA LA Colt!
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

DEVIL DOC wrote:All I use is Hodgdon powders until I ran subs propelled by H4198 and was absolutely digested by how dirty it was and how it wouldn't cycle properly without the suppressor. I like the A1680 now that I have tested it.
That is because H4198 is very, very slow for the 300. You will get tons of unburned powder in the bore. Use it in 223 and it is actually pretty good.

Give it some time, you will be disgusted with 1680's performance. I have went through a pound of it and I will never use it again for anything except maybe yard fertilizer.

If you are running a suprpessor you need to try H4227 or Lil'Gun. With Lil'Gun I am getting SD numbers under 5 fps using my cast 240's. It is also a very, very clean powder.

Dolomite
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Post by DEVIL DOC »

I have heard of pressure spikes with lil-gun. Is H4227 spherical?
Shot placement is a key fundamental which most tired people tend to sleep on, and dark earth is still the new pink. Save the DI's VIVA LA Colt!