H110 issues. Considering loading 4198 (found something else)

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Luckyvictim

H110 issues. Considering loading 4198 (found something else)

Post by Luckyvictim »

Considering loading up a few rounds with some 4198 powder. Has anyone tried this in a blackout load yet?
Last edited by Luckyvictim on Wed May 16, 2012 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
If any monster could Riverdance, it would be zombies.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Re: H110 issues. Considering loading 4198

Post by L1A1Rocker »

What kind of issues are you having with the H110.
Luckyvictim

Post by Luckyvictim »

Please see other thread posted in Main Discussion Forum.

viewtopic.php?f=128&t=79787

I'm thinking 4198 might be a all around better powder from what I read, but my experience with powders/reloading is very small.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
agBQ08
Silent But Deadly

Post by agBQ08 »

Interesting. What are your OAL for each of those rounds? Maybe the bullets are too far in and you are getting crazy pressure that screws up extraction?

I get 147 grain bullets to cycle just fine with 16 grain loads of W296 with a 2.13 OAL. Basically the same as H110.

You are well within functioning loads. Troubleshoot your rifle first before testing powders that are far from the recommended burn rate.

For the record, I don't think 4198 will work for you. Those extruded sticks take up a ton of room and Hodgdon only lists 4198 as working with subs at 2.26" I tried 4198 at 9 grains and 2.12" and I couldn't compress the powder enough. I would imagine you would find similar problems with supers.
Luckyvictim

Post by Luckyvictim »

I just want to post an update and add some closure incase anyone else is going though a similar issue.

The H110 powder was exactly the cause of the problem. I contacted GUNN Ammo (can't say enough wonderful things about this company) to see what there using. Sure enough on the 130g SOST loads there using 20g of Accurate Powder 1680. Picked up some of this powder, loaded up a few under 20g and over, it cycled perfectly. No nasty residue like the H110 leaves behind, not a single hiccup, feed the next round and locked the bolt open! Even found lots of load data for 300 blackout.
Anyone loading I highly recommend this powder to the H110.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Luckyvictim wrote:I just want to post an update and add some closure incase anyone else is going though a similar issue.

The H110 powder was exactly the cause of the problem. I contacted GUNN Ammo (can't say enough wonderful things about this company) to see what there using. Sure enough on the 130g SOST loads there using 20g of Accurate Powder 1680. Picked up some of this powder, loaded up a few under 20g and over, it cycled perfectly. No nasty residue like the H110 leaves behind, not a single hiccup, feed the next round and locked the bolt open! Even found lots of load data for 300 blackout.
Anyone loading I highly recommend this powder to the H110.
Thank you for the update. I'm curious, what fps are you getting with the GUNN 130's?
marsh-vol
Silent Operator

Post by marsh-vol »

Luckyvictim wrote:I just want to post an update and add some closure incase anyone else is going though a similar issue.

The light loading with H110 powder was exactly the cause of my problem.
Note the corrections above. Three people stated in the other thread that your loads were too light. If loads with 20 grains of A1680 make you happy, good for you. Don't blame the primary powder for supersonic loads if you weren't using it properly.

There seem to be quite a few of us happy with H110 based on the load work-up thread.
Luckyvictim

Re: H110 issues. Considering loading 4198 (found something e

Post by Luckyvictim »

marsh-vol wrote:

Note the corrections above. Three people stated in the other thread that your loads were too light. If loads with 20 grains of A1680 make you happy, good for you. Don't blame the primary powder for supersonic loads if you weren't using it properly.

There seem to be quite a few of us happy with H110 based on the load work-up thread.

I agree, It seems to be the go-to powder for loading blackout. Good luck to you and all those loading it.
However, through testing and elimination, it was found that the H110 was the cause of the problem. The thought of a bad can of powder did cross my mind, but two bad cans... Hodgdon's Quality Control must be slipping... Either way, this was a headache.
...But, to comment on what you where saying Marsh-vol, we attempted going hotter with the H110. The round would still not cycle in my rifle (Core15 barrel) nor my father's rifle (Wilson Combat) properly. At 150gr Hornady SST loaded with 17.9g we were getting primers backing out and nasty charring on the brass. On all other brass pieces we encountered sever flattening of the head making the brass worthless to reload. With 125g Nosler loaded w/ 18.5g H110 overpressure signs were being found on the brass.
We also attempted to go the other direction with our loads. Our thought was the bolt was perhaps moving faster then it could preform its job effectively, not the case.

L1A1Rocker, Gunn publishes there 130g SOST round to have a Muzzle Velocity @2180 fps. I found it to be pretty close to that with the high being just shy of that number.

I also wanted to share something, more hard evidence if you will. I still haven't made it to the range with a Chrono, however, this last Wednesday night (5/16) I did take a chance and took my 300 w/ 130g softpoint Hornady loaded with 20.2g of A1680 out hog hunting. Absolutely no issues :D , and the following is a picture of a 265lb boar I shot up near Sherman TX at a range of 60 yards.
To anyone that is considering picking up the A1680 powder to load a few, I hope these encourage you. It's a GTG powder.

*Warning, some images are graphic...
This was a thru and thru shot, and If you've ever shot a boar around this size you know just how thick and tough there hide is.
Entrance wound-
Exit wound-
marsh-vol
Silent Operator

Re: H110 issues. Considering loading 4198 (found something e

Post by marsh-vol »

Glad you found something that works. My AAC barrel runs like a top with H110 and Hornady 110s (VMax and SP) and 145-150 grain FMJs from Wideners. The 110s also ran fine in another AAC barrel (I can't remember if we tried the heavier bullets or not--if we did, they ran fine). I started with one pound and moved to an 8 pound jug once I got the loads worked out. All were loaded with Remington 7 1/2 primers with converted brass. My loads didn't seem super nasty, so you may have some bad powder--maybe both cans from one bad lot.

Nice rifle--billet upper and lower. Is it a side charger?--Never mind, I saw the other thread with dead pigs.
Egoballer2010

Post by Egoballer2010 »

marsh-vol wrote:

Just bought some H110 thanx to a poster on here. Can you send me the link for the H110 load workup thread? Thank you