Longer Barrel

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Re: Longer Barrel

Post by Sdustin »

rockrivershooter wrote:Here's a list of companies that offer 300 blackout there's other barrel manufacturers list might give them a call.

* AAC - uppers, rifles, silencers, and ammunition. * Adams Arms - rifles and uppers. * Alexander Arms - rifles. * All Weather Arms - brass processing. * Ambush Firearms - rifles. * AR-Stoner - barrels. * Atlanta Arms - ammo. * Barnes Bullets - ammo, bullets. * Barnes Precision Machine - barrels, uppers. * BFG Cartridges - Savage barrels. * Black Hills Ammunition - ammo. * Black Hole Weaponry - barrels. * Brad's Warehouse - converted brass. * Bushmaster Firearms - uppers and rifles. * BWE Firearms - rifles, uppers, and suppressors. * CMMG - barrels, uppers, and ammo. * Compass Lake Engineering - AR barrels. * Cor-Bon - ammo * Core15 - rifles, uppers. * Custom Reloads of Dallas - ammo. * Daniel Defense - rifles. * Delta Company Arms - rifles, barrels, uppers. * Dillon Precision - reloading conversion kits. * Double Tap - ammo. * DPMS - rifles and uppers. * DS Arms - rifles and uppers. * ER Shaw - barrels. * Forster - reloading dies. * Grim Reaper Tactical - barrels, uppers, lowers, and rifles. * Gunn - ammo. * Hornady - ammo, dies, brass. * Kel-Tec - SU16C. * Kiss Tactical - lowers. * Lee - reloading dies. * Lehigh Defense - bullets, ammo. * L.E. Wilson - case gauges. * Lewis Machine and Tool - barrels, uppers, rifles. * Loki Weapon Systems - uppers/rifles. * Lone Star Armory - 300 AAC BLACKOUT marked lowers. * Lothar Walther - barrels. * LWRCI - rifles. * Match Grade Machine - Thompson barrels. * McGowen Barrel - Savage and other barrels. * McCourt Munitions - ammo. * Model 1 Sales - AR barrels/uppers * Montana Rifleman - barrels. * Noveske - rifles and uppers. * Olympic Arms - rifles and uppers. * One Shot - ammo. * Pac-Nor - barrels. * Outlaw State Bullets - bullets. * Pacific Tool and Gauge - reamers and gauges. * PalmettoStateArmory - uppers, barrels. * PNW Arms - ammo. * Primary Weapons Systems - rifles and uppers. * Rainier Arms - barrels. * Raven Armament Company - ammo and uppers. * RCBS - dies. * Redding - dies. * Remington - ammunition. * Right 2 Bear Ammo - ammunition. * River Valley Ordnance - reformed brass. * Robarms - XCR Micro rifle. * Ron Williams - barrels. * RUAG - ammo. * Satern Custom Machining, Inc. - barrels. * Savage - rifles. * Seekins Precision - rifles. * Selph Arms LLC - barrels, uppers, re-chambering, and rifles. * Sheepdog Ammo - ammo. * SI Defense - barrels. * Sig Sauer - rifles. * Smith & Wesson - rifles, uppers. * Sierra - bullets. * SilencerCo - silencers. * Southern Ballistic Research - ammo. * Southwest Ammunition, LLC - ammo. * Spike's Tactical - uppers and rifles. * Summit - ammo. * Surefire - 300 BLK sound suppressor. * The Bullet Works - bullets and ammunition. * Top Notch Tactical - ammo. * Triton Arms - AR barrels. * Ultra Tech - ammo (Australia) * Umlaut Industries - 300 BLK caliber marked Rifles, Upper and Lowers. 16" and 10" Factory Title II. * Underground Tactical Arms - uppers. * White Oak Precision - AR barrels. * Wilson Combat - rifles, hunting and self defense ammunition.
ass hole, haha
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
rockrivershooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockrivershooter »

:shock: :?: :shock: :?:
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

I guess smart ass would have been a better response. But to the op I'd really think about just getting a 16" I think rsilvers has said that 16" in 300 blk is like 24" in 5.56. Maybe he will chime in but I don't think you would gain alot by going longer than 16"
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
JimKidd

Post by JimKidd »

rockrivershooter wrote:Here's a list of companies that offer 300 blackout there's other barrel manufacturers list might give them a call.

* AAC - uppers, rifles, silencers, and ammunition...
That's a helluva list there Spanky.
anarchocap
Silent Operator

Post by anarchocap »

JimKidd,

There are a few things from your post I'd like to bring up about the 300 BLK. First of all, I too am intrigued by the 300 BLK and will probably get an upper for it in the near future. However, I think you may have some expectation of the 300 BLK that you can't compare on the same level to the 5.56.

The 300 BLK is specifically tailored to short barrels and 300 yard or less distances. As someone already referred to previously, rsilvers has posted some info about equivalent fps and energy compared to 5.56 with any given barrel length (16" 300 BLK = 24" 5.56, etc.). Also, you need to consider the bullet drop of the 300 BLK as compared to the 5.56 -- you're going to have a lot more drop the farther out you go.

This discussion has come up before. You don't get much more bang for the buck over 16" and you lose the versatility of using subsonics, because depending on the bullet weight, can go super in a longer barrel length. Using subsonics and shorter barrel lengths are a lot of the allure for this cartridge. The other is obviously more energy and a bigger hole.

If you're really just thinking of this as something to mess around with, 16" is the way to go. I'm not necessarily sure it's the best idea to get into the AR platform as your first rifle in other than 5.56 at this stage in the game. Although this is changing day-by-day, 300 BLK product availability is still irregular, and more expensive than 5.56.

However, if you've done your research and understand the current issues, I think 300 BLK is a great cartridge for the AR platform.
Paying taxes supports organized crime!
JimKidd

Post by JimKidd »

Thanks everyone for all the good information. I will probably build the blackout. I can build more uppers or for that matter just change the barrel to go to 5.56. Again, thanks for all the help.
majbdrake

Post by majbdrake »

I had the folks at Delta Company Arms build me a 20" upper several months ago. It loves the 125-150gr bullets. I'm glad to see the USAMU folks like the 30 caliber AR format as well.

Bruce
oldpapps
Silent But Deadly

Post by oldpapps »

A view from this side.

Most if not all ARs for the 300 BlackOut are fitted with some type of optic scope - the need for a long barrel for better sight radius is not there.

All of the loadings that I have seen are for high potency pistol powder - a very fast burn rate that will not benefit from a longer barrel. I suppose that other powders/loadings could be put together to give higher velocities in longer barrels with slower burn rates. But if that is what your interest is in, just move on to a standard rifle casing. That way you won't have to deal with delay/tube length-pressures/buffer variances or a myriad of other little pains in the back side.

As an experiment in all options, go for it. As a functional weapon, well, I don't do suppressed or SBR. I do like the capability of having 30 round AR mags that are loaded with way more ump. Some day I could have a chance to need that many, lots of bacon. I have a 16 incher and it is fine for my needs, so far. I can't see much if any benefit to more than say 20 inches, 22 at the most. I have a 20 inch bull barrel in 223/5.56 and it is just too nose heavy to be comfortable (it does cut nice little clover leafs).

Experimentation and innovation are what makes this so much fun.

Good luck in your quest.

OSOK