My 300 BLK and First Hog Hunt

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

HotHolster
Silent But Deadly

My 300 BLK and First Hog Hunt

Post by HotHolster »

I went on my first hog hunt this weekend, and today ended up awesome. I took two with one shot. It was very cold for Florida and the pigs weren't moving so we ended up going into the brush and palmetto groves. It was extremely difficult going, sometimes we were on our hands and knees or crouched low to the ground working our way through the thick stuff but the pigs were in there too.

Most scattered when we startled them and then my guide pointed into some trees and brush. I immediately saw a pig but a small tree was in the way of a shot so I moved a bit right, pointed the dot just behind the right ear, and from about 25-30 yards, I fired one shot. The first pig, a black one dropped immediately, then I saw the tan one twist around and flop to the ground seconds later. The first pig was hit just behind the ear and the second pig was hit in the right shoulder.

I was using a CMMG 16" carbine length, unsuppressed, with 125gr. Atlantic Arms Nosler ballistic ammo. This was the first one used where I was hunting and the 300BLK drew a lot of attention from the other hunters.

I arrived home about 2 pm, cut one slab of ribs from the side of one, popped them into the oven and I just finished eating. Good, but not a lot of meat on the ribs, I should have done both slabs.
BigDinTexas
Senior Silent Operator

Re: My 300 BLK and First Hog Hunt

Post by BigDinTexas »

:mrgreen:
"Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff..." -author unknown
loki.fish

Post by loki.fish »

BigDinTexas wrote:Image

I concur
mcinfantry
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mcinfantry »

HotHolster wrote:I went on my first hog hunt this weekend, and today ended up awesome. I took two with one shot. It was very cold for Florida and the pigs weren't moving so we ended up going into the brush and palmetto groves. It was extremely difficult going, sometimes we were on our hands and knees or crouched low to the ground working our way through the thick stuff but the pigs were in there too.

Most scattered when we startled them and then my guide pointed into some trees and brush. I immediately saw a pig but a small tree was in the way of a shot so I moved a bit right, pointed the dot just behind the right ear, and from about 25-30 yards, I fired one shot. The first pig, a black one dropped immediately, then I saw the tan one twist around and flop to the ground seconds later. The first pig was hit just behind the ear and the second pig was hit in the right shoulder.

I was using a CMMG 16" carbine length, unsuppressed, with 125gr. Atlantic Arms Nosler ballistic ammo. This was the first one used where I was hunting and the 300BLK drew a lot of attention from the other hunters.

I arrived home about 2 pm, cut one slab of ribs from the side of one, popped them into the oven and I just finished eating. Good, but not a lot of meat on the ribs, I should have done both slabs.
my buddy trapped 36 last year 40-100lbs. the ribs were all to lean to keep IMHO
HotHolster
Silent But Deadly

Post by HotHolster »

loki.fish wrote:
BigDinTexas wrote:Image

I concur
Don't know how to attach photo's. I'm used to going advanced, add attachments, then choosing from my photos or desktop. Anyone who can help?
BigDinTexas
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BigDinTexas »

You can upload the pics to a photosharing site such as photobucket...

Then copy and paste the IMG link (atleast in photobucket you can)...

That's what I do.

Hope that helps. We look forward to seeing the carnage.

Don
HotHolster
Silent But Deadly

Post by HotHolster »

Okay, I hope this works.

The big guy took the largest hog, at 215 lbs, the 2 photo's of the guy dragging the 2 hogs out of the woods are the 2 that I shot, the picture of the guy with 4 hogs-his is the big sow on the left, and some of the guys bundled up from the cold. It was 39 in the morning, a bit chilly for Florida.

All total was 17 hogs for 16 hunters with one not getting anything. Two of us took 2.

http://s1150.photobucket.com/albums/o61 ... ster/Pigs/
BigDinTexas
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BigDinTexas »

Hotholster... This pic reminds me of when Agent K blows Jeebs (Tony Schalhoubs) head off in MIB and it's growing back... LOL...

BigDinTexas
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BigDinTexas »

BTW, looks like it was alot of fun...
HotHolster
Silent But Deadly

Post by HotHolster »

Yeah we had a good time. I fooled a bit with the photo because he didn't know I was putting it up and I didn't want him to be upset.

Pretty soon Texas and Florida will have to band together to start knocking more hogs down. If I understand correctly, the sows have 2.5 litters per year and who knows how many is in the litter. I don't know about Texas as far as private land to hunt but most owners here won't allow hunters on their property or they choose only a few of their friends, so that leaves Wildlife Management Areas, private farms, or hunt leases for most of us.