GunKote on Noveske SS Barrels

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

CoheedKillgannon
Silent But Deadly

GunKote on Noveske SS Barrels

Post by CoheedKillgannon »

Just curious. How well does GunKote hold up on a stainless steel barrel? Is it really abrasion resistant? Getting my blk barrel coated by ADCO.
Wahoo95
Silent Operator

Re: GunKote on Noveske SS Barrels

Post by Wahoo95 »

They Gunkoted a SS barrel of mine and it held up really well.
Go Hoos!!!!
CoheedKillgannon
Silent But Deadly

Cool thanks for the feedback.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

It's pretty durable and the rough blasted finish we use allows it to bond well to the barrel.

It will show some wear if you use it, but it doesn't flake off or wear through easily.
Todd
CoheedKillgannon
Silent But Deadly

-k- wrote:It's pretty durable and the rough blasted finish we use allows it to bond well to the barrel.

It will show some wear if you use it, but it doesn't flake off or wear through easily.
Thanks, I actually have a few more questions. One is a bit off topic.

I plan on running this coated Noveske SS barrel hard along with my parkerized hammer forged BCM 5.56 barrel. I'm not going to treat it like crap, but I'm not going to baby it either. It's going to go through a lot of carbine classes and range use in possibly extreme weather conditions. Will my coated Noveske wear at the same rate as my parkerized BCM? Can the GunKote withstand chemicals and oils etc. Sorry for this redundancy. I've never sent a barrel for a coating before and there's a lot of different opinions on Google about why "this coating is superior to this one because of x, y and z reasons and lasts for more than 5 years" etc.

Also one quick slightly off-topic question. I saw on a Google search that stainless steel barrels do not react well to being fired in extremely cold temperatures. Is that true? I've never owned a stainless steel barrel before, so I'm new to this stuff. Right now at my local outdoor range it can easily get to 20s or teens with the wind-chill factor.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

I have it on a hunting rifle that gets used. It's rubbed off the sharp end of the barrel (Bolt gun with no muzzle device) and shows some wear but I put it as tougher than park for sure. Oil and solvent are fine.
Todd
CoheedKillgannon
Silent But Deadly

Thanks again for the info. I appreciate it.
CoheedKillgannon
Silent But Deadly

Just wanted to post an update.

I got my upper back from Adco Firearms and it turned out AWESOME. The black KG GunKote looks flawless and feels similar to a parkerized finish.