300 AAC BLACKOUT FAQ

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Bugg77
Silent Operator

Re: 300 AAC BLACKOUT FAQ

Post by Bugg77 »

GrkPranksta69 wrote:The only difference between an AR shooting 5.56 versus 300 BLK would be just the barrel right? Would it just be easier to switch out the barrel to go from one to another or just buy the 300 BLK upper as a whole and switch off between the two? Thanks
Switching the upper would be much easier for most AR15s. I think the SCAR and a few other systems may have a quick-change barrel, but you're better off having a separate upper for each caliber in the AR platform.
hapidogbreath

Post by hapidogbreath »

Quick thought...... I reload and would like to "tune my round to drop the brass in a neat pile next to the bench. That being said I will be using a Wells Custom Can and shooting both sub and super. Would an adjustable gas block be something I should look at for the build? There are so many choices out there and I would hate to put everything together and have to change it. :?:
30Whisper

Post by 30Whisper »

I have a question that most likely has been addressed previously but I have been playing with subsonic 208 gr and was wondering if anyone had suggested powder loads, type of powder and case length.
I have been loading 300 whisper subsonic for a while and those loads don't seem to perform well in the BLK out.
B
AccuracyARs
Silent Operator

Post by AccuracyARs »

30Whisper wrote:I have a question that most likely has been addressed previously but I have been playing with subsonic 208 gr and was wondering if anyone had suggested powder loads, type of powder and case length.
I have been loading 300 whisper subsonic for a while and those loads don't seem to perform well in the BLK out.
B
This type of post baffles me in that the chambers for the 300 Whisper and the 300 AAC Blackout are (as far as I can tell) so close that for all intended purposes they are nearly identical. It seems to me the issue must be one of different barrels and/or porting and not the chambers. Anyone have any input on this?

Robert
Average_Casey

Post by Average_Casey »

I was curious what the maximum effective range of the supersonic version of the 300 AAC blackout?
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

460 meters.
AccuracyARs
Silent Operator

Post by AccuracyARs »

Hitting something at 460 meters would mean a pretty high arc with the bullet for sure. Certainly a "trick shot" if you were not normally dialed in to do work at that distance with the 300 BLK.
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

I think effective means it would kill if it did hit them, like the mil has a standard for energy for "effective"
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Post by hunter2 »

Which companies do the conversion from 300-221 to blk.? Delta Company Arms did my first one but now they are hard to get a hold of. Wanting to change my TC over. Contacted one company and they wanted $137. I will keep it the way it is for that. any help appreciated.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Buy a reamer, do it yourself, sell the reamer as used once to do a conversion.