Benefits, if any of Piston vs DI for SBR?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Angel

Benefits, if any of Piston vs DI for SBR?

Post by Angel »

I always see posts about SBR's being finicky with DI guns. If u don't tweak it exactly right you will have problems.

Supposedly Piston Guns fix this problem.

I am here to learn and would like to know if this is a myth or is there some distinct advantage that the Piston System has over DI as it relates to SBR's.

I am asking in reference to 300BLK.

I would like to know that my firearm will go bang every-time, or at least 99% of the time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
"we have only two things to worry about:
that things will never get back to normal,
and that they already have."
300Blk
Site Admin

Re: Benefits, if any of Piston vs DI for SBR?

Post by 300Blk »

Even a gun which misfires 1 shot in 100,000 shots is not 100% reliable.

I don't know the true answer for you. I have heard that DI guns are not as good with short barrels, but I never had a problem with my LMT 10.5 inch, and 300 BLK favors short barrels much more than 5.56mm. It will go bang way more than 99% of the time.
pingi333
Silent Operator

Post by pingi333 »

So RS...... Is their any big company that you know of that "will" release a gas piston sbr upper for the 300 blkout? I have 9 more 300 blkout ar's to build and am holding off until more info comes out.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

PWS has one.
I figure Sig and LWRC will eventually offer one.

What I don't get is why people specifically seek out a piston upper. To me that is like only buying cars that have turbos. Why not just go by the performance rather than how it is implemented?
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Angel wrote:I always see posts about SBR's being finicky with DI guns. If u don't tweak it exactly right you will have problems.
Supposedly Piston Guns fix this problem.
That's internet talk. Maybe 6, 7 years ago this was the case, but most manufacturers have gotten very good at building their guns.
LMT, DD, BCM, Noveske, KAC, etc are all awesome in short guns. At least down to 10" these are all very reliable.

Piston guns in general add cost, complexity, and proprietary parts while being a "fix" for a generally non-existant problem.
Angel wrote:I am here to learn and would like to know if this is a myth or is there some distinct advantage that the Piston System has over DI as it relates to SBR's. I am asking in reference to 300BLK.
I personally find it telling that even piston gun maker LWRC went with DI for their 300BLK SBR.
Angel wrote:I would like to know that my firearm will go bang every-time, or at least 99% of the time.
Get a good one and it will. And frankly, most mediocre ones will too.
Graphic design and branding: https://www.facebook.com/VisualGravy

Some clients include AAC, Rem Defense, Daniel Defense, MilTimes, TrackingPoint, Ambush, Noveske, Unity, Rem, Bushmaster, NRA, etc.
Angel

Post by Angel »

Thank you RS and JasonM

I don't have much money and I really have to spend it wisely. I do not have the knowledge that others on this board do.

I am just honestly trying to gather information to help me make the right choice for myself.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Angel wrote:Thank you RS and JasonM

I don't have much money and I really have to spend it wisely. I do not have the knowledge that others on this board do.

I am just honestly trying to gather information to help me make the right choice for myself.
If money is an issue, I'd just run a 16" 5.56... Then if/when money eases up, you can register the lower as an SBR and go 300BLK...

FWIW, YMMV
Graphic design and branding: https://www.facebook.com/VisualGravy

Some clients include AAC, Rem Defense, Daniel Defense, MilTimes, TrackingPoint, Ambush, Noveske, Unity, Rem, Bushmaster, NRA, etc.
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

Piston guns take the heat, dirt and grit out of the BCG though which is a HUGE bonus to me. I am really hoping that Adams Arms or Osprey Defense comes out with a 300blk system soon. If not then I will just get a noveske 8" lo-pro and get it fail zero coated. I know piston guns are louder but I absolutely hate cleaning a DI gun and the fact that it is so easy to clean a piston gun is very attractive to me personally.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Not when suppressed - the goop comes through the bore - just as it does on an MP5.
Angel

Post by Angel »

I should clarify myself as far as money concerns. What I meant is that I don't have the money to spend on multiple toys yearly, so when I make a purchase, it will be a firearm that will be a part of me for a long time.

I already own (2) 16” 5.56 Rifles.

I have 8k budgeted towards this Rifle. I have to take into consideration that I will be setting up an NFA Trust and a $200 Tax Stamp.

The Cost of the Rifle.

And the Following Upgrades:
Magpul UBR Stock
Hogue Grips
Tango Down BGV-QDSF series vertical grip
Surefire X300
Aimpoint CompM4s w/killflash/mount/spacer
Urban ERT Single Point Sling

I don't think the price of the Rifle is going to be a concern, so I am not necessarily looking for a Rifle that is the cheapest price. I just wanted to know if there was any benefit of a Piston vs DI for a barrel in the 8”-10.5” range.

I apologize in advance if my question wasn't more specific. I'm mainly here to read the Posts to further my knowledge. I'll try not to ask too many questions, it's just that the whole Piston vs DI in a SBR Setup has been bugging me and I don't want to regret my first SBR purchase.