150 gr bullet loaded with H110 for the 300 Blackout.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Twistomatic
Silent Operator

150 gr bullet loaded with H110 for the 300 Blackout.

Post by Twistomatic »

Hello,
I just joined the board. I have been reading for some time though.
I just built my first 300 Blackout AR.
16" Wilson Combat Recon stainless carbine gas length 1/8 twist.

The following is my load:

150 grn FMJ bullet
17 grains of H110
Winchester Primer / small rifle
Case: I cut down and formed my own from mixed commercial and military brass. I used Lee dies to help form my brass.

side note: Lee dies do not have load data when you get them at least mine did not. I got mine last week from MidwayUSA.

I loaded one round in a Pmag.
It fired and ejected and held the bolt back.
I loaded two more rounds in the same magazine and it fired, ejected and loaded the next round. I fired the last round in the chamber and it ejected and held the bolt open.

My cases showed no signs of high pressure. The primers were still rounded on their edges where it seats into the primer cup.

I plan on getting a chronograph soon.

I noticed that there is not enough posted data from members with loads from 135 to 180 gr bullets.
It seems to cluster in the 125 gr and over 200 gr areas of loading. Anywho.....

Next up to try are 110 gr bullets for .30 Carbine in the 300 Blackout. :mrgreen:

Regards
Twistomatic and some Black Magic.
snowball

Re: 150 gr bullet loaded with H110 for the 300 Blackout.

Post by snowball »

Thats about what I was going to try . Did you try the 150 gr subsonic testing yet ? I have yet to try it. Not sure if the bolt will cycle the 150gr subsonic but this is one bullet I wish that I could get to cycle. I will give it a try this weekend with H110 and trailboss and a few others.
Twistomatic
Silent Operator

Post by Twistomatic »

Sorry Snowball,
I have only tested it in supersonic. I wanted an effective load that will run and not show pressure signs at higher pressures. Hunting and Plinking are my primary goals. Most people I know do not have a suppressor and really have no need for one....I am the same.

Regards
Twistomatic and some Black Magic.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Twistomatic wrote:Sorry Snowball,
I have only tested it in supersonic. I wanted an effective load that will run and not show pressure signs at higher pressures. Hunting and Plinking are my primary goals. Most people I know do not have a suppressor and really have no need for one....I am the same.

Regards

Or have no need for a 300 BLK

Open can o worms lol... sorry it just sounds really bad the way you said it.

My ears, my local community, are all glad i don't NEED a silencer but own and use them. I wish all the people who shoot would use then as well. Using a silencer is the polite thing to do :mrgreen:

I too am shooting primarily 150s in my blk. I think it makes a nice all around bullet. W231 at 5 gr is a very quiet subsonic load, and i am still playing with loads for the supersonic. H110 may be a tad to fast. Little gun may be the optimal powder, but i am playing with: 5744, Rl-7, A1680 as i have them in abundance. If lill gun works the best i may try to swap some of the excess powder i have for it.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
snowball

Post by snowball »

JohnInNH wrote:
Twistomatic wrote:Sorry Snowball,

Regards

Or have no need for a 300 BLK

Open can o worms lol... sorry it just sounds really bad the way you said it.

My ears, my local community, are all glad i don't NEED a silencer but own and use them. I wish all the people who shoot would use then as well. Using a silencer is the polite thing to do :mrgreen:

I too am shooting primarily 150s in my blk. I think it makes a nice all around bullet. W231 at 5 gr is a very quiet subsonic load, and i am still playing with loads for the supersonic. H110 may be a tad to fast. Little gun may be the optimal powder, but i am playing with: 5744, Rl-7, A1680 as i have them in abundance. If lill gun works the best i may try to swap some of the excess powder i have for it.
I have 6k 147 gr and I gotta find something that will work an cycle the action for my 300blk. I have heard 6.5gr of blue dot but I havent tried it yet. Any thoughts ?

Now I have tried the 6.5gr of bluedot and its a no go... Doesnt cycle the action.
Lt3097

Post by Lt3097 »

Havent seen too many posts regarding a sub-sonic load for the 150g bullet in the 300AAC. Has anybody out there got a formula for one that will cycle an AR. Al;so, how about a sub load for a bolt gun using the same bullet ?
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

Lots of data here: https://www.hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html

By the way, Hodgdon list 16.2 grains as max with a 150 grain bullet.
I usually run 16.0 grains behind the Hornady FMJ-BT
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
jsoupene

Post by jsoupene »

Lt3097 wrote:Havent seen too many posts regarding a sub-sonic load for the 150g bullet in the 300AAC. Has anybody out there got a formula for one that will cycle an AR. Al;so, how about a sub load for a bolt gun using the same bullet ?
Read thru these....

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=81579

viewtopic.php?t=86495

http://www.2coolfishing.net/ttmbforum/s ... id=4940226
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

Twistomatic - I've loaded W296 (same as H110) and had the opportunity to shoot up to 17.0gr 147gr Win FMJ without any pressure signs.

Data I have shows loads up to 18.0gr, but I didn't have a chance to try the 17.5gr and 18.0gr loads that were in the test ladder when I was last out.

I also loaded the 110gr 30 carbine bullet and it functions fine in my weapon. I was using the copper coated variety bullet and they were showing signs of failure from being pushed too fast. Accuracy was lousy. I was up to 20gr of 296 at 1.845 COL without any pressure signs seen on the brass. I've since dropped the powder load with a ladder from 15.0 - 17.0 but haven't had a chance to get to the range to try them.

FYI- I'm using a pistol w/ 7.5" barrel.
300Blk 8.0" pistol with 80% lower
Swat50
Silent But Deadly

Post by Swat50 »

Where's that deer and popcorn?
16" Sota arms upper W/ Adams piston, 80% lower.
AAC H&R single shot.
16" MGM barreled Contender.
Ruger American Ranch.
16" SS Sota Arms upper, For Sale.
That's just the 300 AAC 's