Stainless steel barrels

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

drrufo
Silent Operator

Stainless steel barrels

Post by drrufo »

Why am I seeing some of the 300 blackout uppers offered with stainless barrels? Is there a demand for these barrels that I am not aware of.
I like the Core 15 MOE upper and would buy one in a new york minute, but it has a stainless barrel. I don't want a stainless barrel, from what I have read they erode faster than chrome moly barrels.. Can anyone help me with this one?
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Re: Stainless steel barrels

Post by mbogo »

Stainless steel does not erode any faster than chrome molybdenum.

mbogo
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Stainless barrels last longer than chrome-moly phosphated barrels.
drrufo
Silent Operator

Post by drrufo »

Thanks, I might have a Core 15 upper by the end of the month. I like the way they look.
DSA300BLK

Post by DSA300BLK »

We did a run of SS 300AAC uppers for a couple reasons.

SS is a softer barrel which can produce slightly higher velocity and also can help the barrel generate more pressure. This softer barrel also can allow for greater accuracy.

SS tends to hold its beginning accuracy better and longer, but when it falls off it really falls off. CM tends to have its accuracy displayed like a rainbow over the barrels life. Normally SS and CM end up at the same place as for its "shot out" life; just two different characteristics of how this happens.

We also wanted to do a SS upper for a while now, but never found the one we thought would sell. In a AAC its a good fit for accuracy, pressure and custom cool reasons.

Our barrels also have a different contour than other AR barrels. Its a contour I came up with for a new semi auto 556 rifle we are working on.

Thanks
DSArms
drrufo
Silent Operator

Re: Stainless steel barrels- DSA upper question

Post by drrufo »

Can the DSA uppers be purchased complete with a bolt carrier and charging handle?
DSA300BLK

Post by DSA300BLK »

Yes for $125 more

Thanks
DSArms
TMH260
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMH260 »

This is likely a statement/question that Mr. Silvers or someone that has had many thousands of rounds of experience can verify or correct me on but I can only assume that barrel life should be quite outstanding with the 300 AAC. It has traits which should prove my assumption: relatively low pressures, not overbored by any stretch of the imagination, and moderate to low velocities. To top that off even though it has shown good to great accuracy potential the vast majority of users will not be expecting 1/4-1/2 MOA. If my barrel is about 1 to 1 1/2 MOA barrel new I expect it will hold at or below 2 MOA for multiple thousands of rounds. Am I incorrect in any of my assumptions?
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Bore life is not an issue so pick whatever material you like. If you wear out a barrel, congratulations - you should earn some award.
cb4017
Silent Operator

Post by cb4017 »

Nice to see DSArms is a member here.

My DSArms 300 AAC Blackout upper with stainless barrel arrived today. It looks pretty darn good. I'll post pics and a shooting report in the next few days.
Cliff
FPD, USN Retired, NRA Lifer