Super Sonic Ammo - What is really going on here ???

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300Blk
Site Admin

Re: Super Sonic Ammo - What is really going on here ???

Post by 300Blk »

It is easy to load now that several sources of brass exist. It was real hard a year ago.
bluebird

Post by bluebird »

silencertalk wrote:
bluebird wrote:Sorry I don't mean to jack the thread, but does that mean that the bullet does not come from existing inventory? How different is it comparing to existing 125gr .308 bullets? Is the "custom" bullet going to be for sale in the future?
The delay is because there are no bullets made by any company which we feel are ideal. We are designing new bullets that are loaded to more than 2.2 inches OAL to fill the magazine. They will probably be for sale.
Just curious, is the bullet going to have a cannelure?
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

The UMC bullet will probably have a cannelure.
The Premiere Match 125 grain does not have a cannelure.
The AccuTip 125 does have a cannelure.
The Core-Lokt will probably have a cannelure.
bluebird

Post by bluebird »

Mr. Silvers,

How much do you think the custom bullets are going to cost? Do you think they will sell them bulk?

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum3/view ... 68&t=62965

Also, has anything in the above thread about OAL OR suggested bullets changed? Some of my reloading tools are on their way to my home but I want to know what options I have for plinking (not factory second/ pulled bullets). Is BULK Hornady 150gr FMJBT going to be my best bet for cheapest bullet?

Do you also happen to know the performance (IN GENERAL) of 150gr bullets (in terms of drop, velocity and energy) comparing to 125gr bullets? I do not have a copy of Quickload yet so I hope you can answer me this question.

Thanks!
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Yes - some of that changed. The 220 subsonic I used to suggest 2.089 OAL, and now I suggest 2.120 OAL. I changed it in that old post, but no doubt people copied my post in several places on the internet and so the old data will be in some places.

The 110 V-MAX, I had 2.00 OAL, and now I would do about 2.068 OAL.

Also, I now avoid bullets which, when set to be most compatible with the magazine rib, are not loaded to 2.1 OAL or longer - and that list had several of them.

As for the best cheap bullet - the Hornady 150 is probably it. I do like the Sierra 150 better as it can be loaded to a longer OAL due to the ogive shape, but it does cost more.

The custom bullets - yes, they will likely be sold in bulk. I don't know the price as we don't know what they will cost to make yet. We should have a 125 grain sold in bulk soon, and also some plastic-tip expanding bullets soon.
robpiat
Silent Operator

Post by robpiat »

silencertalk wrote:It is easy to load now that several sources of brass exist. It was real hard a year ago.

I don't think cutting the brass down is "real hard" but I guess thats subjective. I pay somebody $35/1000 to do it now.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

It is not real hard if you have a Dillon case trimmer.
robpiat
Silent Operator

Post by robpiat »

silencertalk wrote:It is not real hard if you have a Dillon case trimmer.

Possum Hollow has made them for awhile at $25 + a $40 HF drill press. Goes fairly fast.
selph arms llc
Industry Professional

Post by selph arms llc »

I have been reloading all my own ammo for the 300 Blackout / whisper for a long time. I haven’t used one factory load in my gun and all the brass I have been using was converted by (HOSER)… So far I have loaded over 1000 rounds in the past year for testing with our uppers we will be releasing soon…

I have killed numerous pigs and 5 deer last season using Barnes 130gr TTSX bullets; I then switched to 110gr V-MAX because they are more affordable than the Barnes bullets at $32.95 per 50 while the Hornady 110gr V-MAX at $27.00 for 100 rounds and when you are going out to the ranch to keep the pigs in check 1-3 times a week you have to budget on the ammo…

I would reload your own ammo until the market grows to the point where the price comes down on factory ammo.
Selph Arms LLC
07 FFL/Class 2 SOT

Gibal

Post by Gibal »

I'm not sure why anyone would thing a "new" cartridge would be cheap. Even though it's using a very common parent case, big companies are still making new cases with proper headstamps at much smaller numbers than the parent case...
robpiat wrote:I don't understand peoples aversion to loading their own ammo. In the time spent concerned about the lack of factory ammo, you could have made your own.
I don't get it either, especially with non-NATO rounds but a lot of people don't like the up-front cost of reloading and a good lot of people I've talk to seem to think reloading is dangerous or experimental in nature like wildcatting. Craigslist and Hodgdon's website will get you over that :lol: . This seems to be a real easy case to get someone into reloading. With that said though, Reloading gets to be a pain if you shoot a lot. I prefer to shoot 5.56 over my 6.8 just because I can pick up real cheap 5.56 and I don't have to worry about loading 200-300 rounds per shooting session,it can get old.
"Studies have shown that breathing through the nose, as opposed to the mouth, may increase a person's IQ"