what is a Silencer's lifespan with the 300blk

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

what is a Silencer's lifespan with the 300blk

Post by trenttyre »

What lifespan (round count) can one expect out of a can used solely for 300blk on an AR? Specifically AAC 762-SDN-6, AAC 300-SD or a Gemtech Quicksand.
Jmark

Re: what is a Silencer's lifespan with the 300blk

Post by Jmark »

Just a WAG knowing the durability of inconel I'd bet you'd be into the decades if you averaged 500 rounds a month with the N6 fired semi.

Also there is no set cut off point where you are just going to end up with a paperweight. If you avoid any baffle strikes or other types of damage the main thing that will happen is that it gets a little louder.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

Jmark wrote:Just a WAG knowing the durability of inconel I'd bet you'd be into the decades if you averaged 500 rounds a month with the N6 fired semi.

Also there is no set cut off point where you are just going to end up with a paperweight. If you avoid any baffle strikes or other types of damage the main thing that will happen is that it gets a little louder.

What jmark said, with cans it is a gradual fade in performance over time with use. What your cutoff is in terms of life is up to you.

Using barrel life as a comparison, 300 BLK is tested to 3 times that of 5.56 (still ongoing). So with semi-auto use, that puts the 'N-6's life at 60,000 to 100,000 rounds?

The 300-SD and Quicksand (both being Ti) would be probably half the lifespan.

I wish I had harder numbers for you, but the 300 BLK is much gentler on any can versus 5.56 or 308.
Kick Ass Design
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

JasonAAC wrote:
Jmark wrote:Just a WAG knowing the durability of inconel I'd bet you'd be into the decades if you averaged 500 rounds a month with the N6 fired semi.

What jmark said, with cans it is a gradual fade in performance over time with use. What your cutoff is in terms of life is up to you.

Using barrel life as a comparison, 300 BLK is tested to 3 times that of 5.56 (still ongoing). So with semi-auto use, that puts the 'N-6's life at 60,000 to 100,000 rounds?

I wish I had harder numbers for you, but the 300 BLK is much gentler on any can versus 5.56 or 308.
Oh wow so Ti has a much shorter life span!? Well that may have just swayed my decision for the 762-sdn-6 then. Thats actually very disappointing to hear that the Ti cans, which are substantially more expensive, have about half the life span.

Hopefully one day the laws will change and obtaining a suppressor will not be such a chore to which I could justify spending more on a less durable can; however, with the current laws i just don't see any justification unless I can get a Ti suppressor for cheaper.

Thanks so much for the help guys.

oh before i forget, will regular cleaning, say with vinegar or some other substance that you recommend, increase the life/performance of the can over time?
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

ok so my SAS Arbiter titanium can will only last 30000 rounds ... wow .. i'll start to worry in 20 years +

and BTW .. paid $720 for it ... (thread on version ..didn't want QD, in FDE)

what's the going price on a 762-sdn-6 ?

and under 13 ounces !

Don't get me wrong I love my AAC cyclone as well .. but on my 9" SBR 300blk , the cyclone feels like a brick compared to the SAS ...

-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

JasonAAC wrote:

will regular cleaning, say with vinegar or some other substance that you recommend, increase the life/performance of the can over time?
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

trenttyre wrote:
JasonAAC wrote:

will regular cleaning, say with vinegar or some other substance that you recommend, increase the life/performance of the can over time?
Not really. The issue with can life in centerfire applications is erosion. That won't be helped by cleaning, plus there really is not much to clean out of a rifle can. Not like a .22 or even a pistol can in terms of filth and buildup.
Kick Ass Design