Muzzle brake or flash hider for 8" Build?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

krecon1

Muzzle brake or flash hider for 8" Build?

Post by krecon1 »

Just looking for some clarification on direction to go for some 300 AAC BO upper builds. I have two 762SDs (18t) that are not being used - figure I'll build some BO uppers to host them. From the threads I have read the blast effect on the first baffle is nowhere near as harsh as a 5.56 and shouldn't be an issue with the 300 AAC BO cartridge. I would mainly be shooting subsonic ammo through the cans - will I suffer any longterm blast baffle erosion with this round if I stick with the flash hiders? Will I gain anything using the brake over the flash hider?

Thanks in advance.
300Blk
Site Admin

Re: Muzzle brake or flash hider for 8" Build?

Post by 300Blk »

You will always have erosion, and a muzzle brake or BreakOut will reduce it. That being said, I would use a flash suppressor. Way less loud without a can, and kills flash.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

silencertalk wrote:You will always have erosion, and a muzzle brake or BreakOut will reduce it. That being said, I would use a flash suppressor. Way less loud without a can, and kills flash.
What Robert said. if you are not doing full auto, the can will last a long long time with 300 BLK.

The 762-SDN-6 will be more durable in an SBR config, but your 'SD's will do great.
Kick Ass Design
robrob
Silent But Deadly

Post by robrob »

I would definitely go with the muzzle brake. Consider it an easily replaceable blast baffle.