16" 300 Blackout, worth it?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

stmcelroy
Silent Operator

16" 300 Blackout, worth it?

Post by stmcelroy »

If I could have a SBR a 300 Blackout would be a given, but seeing how we can't own them in Washington is a 16" 300 BLK any better than a 5.56?

I guess what i'm wondering is those that have 16" 300 Blk's do you like them? Would you buy them again, or do you see this only as a SBR?

I've got a 45Osprey waiting for my paperwork to be approved, so I could use it with subsonic ammo.
agBQ08
Silent But Deadly

Re: 16" 300 Blackout, worth it?

Post by agBQ08 »

Hi stmcelroy! I have a 16.5" barrel from Aaron at Delta Company Arms in 300 BLK, will buy again in a heartbeat from Aaron when the time comes for another build, and would absolutely recommend it as a cartridge for you even if you can't do a SBR, if it meets your needs.

For me, I just didn't want to deal with SBR registration/tax stamp but did want an AR rifle I could suppress easily that would function just fine. Uses include suppressed hunting for hogs and other scum of the animal world (legal in MS if I can find some land), self defense, supersonic hunting for deer, zombies (that low sound signature is key), etc. The availability of 30 cal bullets and the rest of the components being 223 help.

Depends for you. Do you want to be able to suppress a rifle with functioning ammo without that supersonic crack you will get with 223 Rem? Will you be using the 300 BLK in it's effective range of 200-300 yards, or a little further depending on who you ask? What exactly are your intended uses? Ballistics will probably exceed 223 within a certain envelope based on range and environmental factors.

Cliff notes: I have a 16.5" 300 BLK and would buy it again. You should too if its capabilities fit your needs and you can live with its limitations.
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

If it wasn't for the newer soft shooting 7.62 NATO ARs on the market now, I'd say yes. The felt recoil difference of what's out now verses just a couple years ago is amazing. If you are talking about a 16" supersonic only, it's hard to beat some of the new 7.62 NATO rifles out now. I really think the cartridge shines on the subsonic level. Sure the 16" blackout would recoil a little less and be a little lighter, but the 7.62 NATO has a lot to offer.
Try shooting a regular M4 clone, then compare it to something like the 7.62 JP, Larue Predatar with a brake, or SR 25 EMC (new brakes soon to be on the way). It is absolutely nothing like the 7.62 carbines from a few years ago.
I personally like the short subsonic suppressed 300 black and run it like a subgun. A Shrike 300 black barrel would be kick ass.
Just my opinions I guess.
Tom
da bugman
Silent But Deadly

Post by da bugman »

I have a bushmaster in 308 , a 16" springfield socom , and a 16" 300 blk. If you reload , I would choose the BLK Out for urban self defense or keeping deer out of the garden.

Cheaper for the initial rifle,and quiter to shoot than than a 16" springfield socom. Match triggers avaible cheap for the ar platform, adding optic much easier. The m14 does hit harder ,but is not as accurate as the blk at +2moa. Everything I have shot out of my black out is near 1 moa. The m14 cost more and is more expensive to trick up.

The bush master is accurate and has match triggers avaible just as any ar platform, but is a 10 lb rifle with only a 20 round mag.

The blackout hits harder than the 223, in the m4 format, and is good 200 yard round on zombies or deer, I sure you can use it on zombies out pass 300 yards if pressed with good results.

If you plan to use a can, it is the way to go. It is quiter than a 308 with out,super or subsonic.

JD
stmcelroy
Silent Operator

Post by stmcelroy »

The only thing holding me back is I have a Kel-tec RFB in .308, but no can to shoot it with. The overall length of the RFB is dang near the same as a SBR AR15.

I really like the RFB but I could sell it and get a 300Blk upper and a .308 silencer for the same money.

Decisions, decisions.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

Tom12.7 wrote:If it wasn't for the newer soft shooting 7.62 NATO ARs on the market now, I'd say yes. The felt recoil difference of what's out now verses just a couple years ago is amazing. If you are talking about a 16" supersonic only, it's hard to beat some of the new 7.62 NATO rifles out now. I really think the cartridge shines on the subsonic level. Sure the 16" blackout would recoil a little less and be a little lighter, but the 7.62 NATO has a lot to offer.
Try shooting a regular M4 clone, then compare it to something like the 7.62 JP, Larue Predatar with a brake, or SR 25 EMC (new brakes soon to be on the way). It is absolutely nothing like the 7.62 carbines from a few years ago.
I personally like the short subsonic suppressed 300 black and run it like a subgun. A Shrike 300 black barrel would be kick ass.
Just my opinions I guess.
Tom
I don't think these can really be compared.

Shooting the 300 BLK is nothing like shooting a JP 308 or KAC EMC, etc... Not to mention the weapons are much smaller and lighter and you have the subsonic cycling option.

I find the 762 rifles to be much harder to handle. (not hard to handle, mind you, but hardER). YMMV.
Kick Ass Design
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

308 rifles are heavy and not handy. Totally different.

300 AAC BLACKOUT is the way to go for zombies.

Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

Ha!
Here it seems like I'm bashing the Blackout cartridge, even though I like alot. On the Knights forum, they say I'm bashing the 6x35 that I want to try out in as an alternative to the Blackout. But my point is that when you spend the money for a complete system, some advantages seem to stick out. Put a Short Dot on a quality rifle with a quality suppressor, it adds up fast. That's what I'm trying to say, a light recoiling, light 300 black would be easier to handle, but you give up practical distance with the elevation and windage needed for the Blackout verses 7.62 NATO. I think I come off wrong when I type instead of speaking in person. There is places for all, I just think that an advantage for closer situations with the 300 Blackout, mid range with the 5.56 (jack of all trades, master of none), and longer with the 7.62 NATO, not extended distance for the .338 Lapua or 50 BMG, etc.
Tom
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

Tom12.7 wrote:There is places for all, I just think that an advantage for closer situations with the 300 Blackout, mid range with the 5.56 (jack of all trades, master of none), and longer with the 7.62 NATO, not extended distance for the .338 Lapua or 50 BMG, etc.
Tom
yes! (with overlap at every edge)

It's cool, don't sweat it.
Kick Ass Design
GlockBuyer

Post by GlockBuyer »

If you can't own an SBR, then I'd just get an integrally suppressed AR upper that brings the overall length to 16". I've seen them in 300 whisper and would assume they are even better when chambered in 300BLK.