Is 300BLK worth it in supersonic unsuppressed ONLY appl.?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

bluebird

Is 300BLK worth it in supersonic unsuppressed ONLY appl.?

Post by bluebird »

Hi everyone,

I would like to first introduce myself since this is my first post. I'm Bluebird and I'm from People's Republic of Kalifornia, one of the very few "restricted" states in the country.

I've been lurking on this forum for a while as a guest because I couldn't use my gmail to register on this forum, but then I decided I'll just use the university's email account (yeah I'm a college student) to register on this forum since there are a few questions that I really want to ask here.

I'm planning to own my first gun when I leave dorm this year and, after my first ever experience at the range with a few friends, I have decided to buy an AR for my first gun.

I have been having trouble trying to figure whether I should buy a 5.56/.223 or a 300BLK upper and I would like to hear some opinions from you. I'm going for a 16 inch barrel since California does not allow SBRs nor silencers (well not until I move to a free state but that's going to take a while). So my questions is:

-Is 300BLK worth it if I only run supersonic unsuppressed?

-I notice that the companies building 300BLK products are currently focusing on subsonic applications. Is supersonic application going to be one of their top priorities in the near future?

-Are companies trying to make 300BLK almost as common as 5.56/.223 or at least on par with 6.8SPC II? Or is it going to be another not exactly wildcat but not very common cartridge?

I completely understand that the biggest reason people like this cartridge is that it can run in both subsonic and supersonic applications. However, as a California resident's point of view, I wonder if this cartridge will shine in supersonic unsuppressed ONLY applications. I am also going to reload (well some people might say I should learn to reload 5.56/.223 or even learn to shoot first but I plan to do both simultaneously, so please do not give opinions based on those reasons).

Thank you and I wish your replies will help me make good decisions.

-Bluebird
Recoil737
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Is 300BLK worth it in supersonic unsuppressed ONLY appl.

Post by Recoil737 »

I don't think the 300blk is the best supersonic only round. If you are going to reload the 6.8 is a much better wildcat supersonic round for the AR. There are a couple other AR conversions that work better at being supersonic only.

That being said call me old fashioned but the .223 is a great supersonic round in and of itself. The ammo is relatively cheap and you can find both the components and rounds everywhere. It just works with all the mags/bolts/lowers/uppers/flash hiders. With the right bullet you can get accurately out to 700 yards easy. With lets say a 75gr bthp the terminal ballistics work very well.

Unless you are just dead set on getting into an AR conversion you can't go wrong with what it was designed for.

If you have any interest in shooting quiet be it with a suppressor or not (subsonic 220gr is a little louder than a .22 unsuppressed) the 300blk is THE BEST subsonic/supersonic rifle available.

That's why I have 3.

If your reloading you shouldn't have to worry about what the manufactures are focusing on with the supersonic. There are many reloaders out there that have wrung just about every ounce of performance out the the 300blk and most are happy to share their results with other reloaders. Now if some new bullets/powders come down the line from the manufactures I am sure we will be able to get a little more performance/terminal ballistics out of the blackout.

The 300blk will become much bigger than the 6.8 spc II but will come no where near the ubiquitousness of the .223.

The AR is one of the most versatile and shootable weapons out there and you would have a hard time going wrong with any of its flavors.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Actually by far the most work being done for 300 BLK is supersonic. There are so many custom bullets and loads being developed. Fact is, they are not out just yet - so you probably need a 5.56mm upper for now.
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

Honestly, my main interest is in the short, subsonic, suppressed, select fire 300 black. Basically run it like a subgun. Not casting doubt on it's supersonic capabilities, but if I'm shooting a .308" diameter 16" supersonic, it'll be on a 7.62 NATO type carbine AR platform.
Just my 2 cents, everyone has their own opinions.
Tom
doubloon

Post by doubloon »

I've been tying to keep an eye on 300BLK supersonic development, for me what comes out of supersonic in the next months will tip the scales on whether I go 308Win or 300BLK on my next purchase.

I don't expect 300BLK to be able to compete with 308Win in supersonic but a few more proven and versatile hunting loads would be nice.
[img]http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/toobmonkey/MedSig.jpg[/img]
LYNRDSKYNRD
Silent Operator

Post by LYNRDSKYNRD »

.223/5.56 is what you should buy. You can always pickup a 300bl later.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Here is what I know about full power ammo:

1. Hornady has the 110 VMAX coming out in June/July.
2. Remington has the Premiere AccuTip-V 125 grain plastic tip. This will be like the Hornady load, but deeper penetration.
3. We are testing some Barnes ammo, but it is not certain to come out - depends on how it works.
4. 110, 115, or 125 grain OTM Premiere Match are being tested and one of them will come out.
5. Rem low-cost OTM is coming along.
6. Remington Ultra-Bonded Core-Lokt is being developed.
7. Remington military Barrier Blind ammo is being developed.

Cor-Bon, Double Tap, PNW Arms, SBR, One Shot, Atlanta Arms, RUAG, and other companies are working on loads but we are behind on getting them brass (except RUAG, who has their own brass). Brass production capacity is being tripled though - as soon as two more machines are finished and brought online.

So things will be good for full power ammo, but tooling has lead times, so it is not happening instantly.
doubloon

Post by doubloon »

Excellent, more than enough variety to make a decision.

Ballistics on the 123-125gr pill between 50-250 yards is probably what's most interesting to me.

LYNRDSKYNRD wrote:.223/5.56 is what you should buy. You can always pickup a 300bl later.
I already have a squirrel gun :D
[img]http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/toobmonkey/MedSig.jpg[/img]
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

In terms of ballistics and terminal performance, supersonic is where 300 BLK really shines, especially in SBRs, and especially compared to 5.56 for short to mid-range use.

This is the main 'purpose' of the round. a mid range, full power, 30 cal round that functions well in ARs with minimal (only the barrel) parts changes. the fact that a nice quiet and effective subsonic round can be loaded is just part of the system.

200, 250, 300 yds should be no problem... i believe the numbers I've seen are that the factory supersonic stays supersonic out past 600 yds...
Kick Ass Design
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I forgot to say, 175 grain 3-gun ammo is being loaded right now - but only 10,000 rounds at first, so none will be for sale.