Best can for a 300blk?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

JohnDS

Re: Best can for a 300blk?

Post by JohnDS »

I have the quicksand & use it on my 8" Noveske 300 whisper/blk out barrel with smith vortex bi-lock. Love how light & quiet it is. Have shot it next to a MP5SD clone and the noveske bbl & quicksand was quieter to those present than the MP5SD (Coharie Arms CA94SD).

As stated by others, the blackout has an annoying ping. Have heard it clearly from 30 feet away while bunny shooting.

Also as stated by others, the smith vortex has a tuning fork noise. The vortex is not nearly as pronounced as the blackout but it does ping. I notice it if I flick the vortex or ding it with metal. Shooting it unsuppressed you can hear it ping, suppressed it's hit and miss.
amatac

Post by amatac »

JohnDS wrote:I have the quicksand & use it on my 8" Noveske 300 whisper/blk out barrel with smith vortex bi-lock. Love how light & quiet it is. Have shot it next to a MP5SD clone and the noveske bbl & quicksand was quieter to those present than the MP5SD (Coharie Arms CA94SD).

As stated by others, the blackout has an annoying ping. Have heard it clearly from 30 feet away while bunny shooting.

Also as stated by others, the smith vortex has a tuning fork noise. The vortex is not nearly as pronounced as the blackout but it does ping. I notice it if I flick the vortex or ding it with metal. Shooting it unsuppressed you can hear it ping, suppressed it's hit and miss.
Even more of a reason to run a brake...or take Aaron up on his bronze shim idea. (not a hijack)...Many of us would like the info on the bronze shim, Aaron.
There is no hunting like the hunting of man...
FFL/SOT
silencedamerica.com
robpiat
Silent Operator

Post by robpiat »

I have a cyclone now and a YHM QD on the way. I know the YHM will be heavy, but I like that it can lock in place under a rail system.
jasonusvi
Silent But Deadly

Post by jasonusvi »

silencertalk wrote:I don't know enough about the QuickSand to give actual reasons. It would seem risky to be to pass by the AAC for anything else though. I have not got wind of any news that anyone else was close. The Army recently bought 12,000 BLACKOUTs and rushed them into combat after testing the Vortex, YHM, and some other flash suppressors.
Is there a link to press / additional info on this? Thanks
A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. – P. J. O'Rourke
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

jasonusvi wrote:
silencertalk wrote:I don't know enough about the QuickSand to give actual reasons. It would seem risky to be to pass by the AAC for anything else though. I have not got wind of any news that anyone else was close. The Army recently bought 12,000 BLACKOUTs and rushed them into combat after testing the Vortex, YHM, and some other flash suppressors.
http://www.military.com/news/article/se ... sound.html
Kick Ass Design
9mmkungfu
Silent Operator

Post by 9mmkungfu »

JasonAAC wrote:
jasonusvi wrote:
http://www.military.com/news/article/se ... sound.html
Is there any reason why they chose the Surefire products for the M240s? I'm curious because the last time I checked (which, admittedly was over a year ago) one of the best-peforming, if not best, flash-suppression muzzle devices was the Blackout.

Slightly off topic, sorry.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

9mmkungfu wrote:Is there any reason why they chose the Surefire products for the M240s? I'm curious because the last time I checked (which, admittedly was over a year ago) one of the best-peforming, if not best, flash-suppression muzzle devices was the Blackout.

Couldn't tell you, maybe they have some SF 762 cans in stock? who knows
Kick Ass Design
9mmkungfu
Silent Operator

Post by 9mmkungfu »

JasonAAC wrote:
9mmkungfu wrote:Is there any reason why they chose the Surefire products for the M240s? I'm curious because the last time I checked (which, admittedly was over a year ago) one of the best-peforming, if not best, flash-suppression muzzle devices was the Blackout.

Couldn't tell you, maybe they have some SF 762 cans in stock? who knows
Good call.
Buzduk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Buzduk »

silencertalk wrote:It depends on the gun, but sometimes - but so does the Vortex.
Does the brake make the same sound that the flash suppressor does?
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201 Matt
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

Buzduk wrote:
silencertalk wrote:It depends on the gun, but sometimes - but so does the Vortex.
Does the brake make the same sound that the flash suppressor does?
The brake and the BRAKEOUT don't make any harmonic noise at all.
Kick Ass Design