Best can for a 300blk?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Re: Best can for a 300blk?

Post by JasonAAC »

trenttyre wrote:Yea I think I may go with the Quicksand because i like the QD attachment better than AAC's ratchet type, plus you can get it with a votex flash hider and it is 2dB quieter than the 762-SDN-6. Mostly because of the QD though.
For your decibel numbers, you need to pay attention to the hosts used, for example, the 762-SD catalog number I believe is on an 18" Rem 700, while the quoted 762-SDN-6 number is from a 14.5" KAC Battle Rifle. I have no idea about the specifics of other company's testing.

Comparing different company's published numbers to each other is kind of useless. The only way to directly compare cans is on the same day, same ammo, same weapon, same testing setup.

As an aside, what makes you like the Quicksand's QD better? Have you used one extensively? What do you like about the Vortex better than the Blackout? I'm not being a wise ass, i am really just wondering.
Kick Ass Design
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

The Blackout is better than the Vortex, though the Vortex is also good.
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

silencertalk wrote:The Blackout is better than the Vortex, though the Vortex is also good.
But the Blackout has that awful "PING" sound when used with a can doesnt it?
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

It depends on the gun, but sometimes - but so does the Vortex.
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

JasonAAC wrote:
trenttyre wrote:Yea I think I may go with the Quicksand because i like the QD attachment better than AAC's ratchet type, plus you can get it with a votex flash hider and it is 2dB quieter than the 762-SDN-6. Mostly because of the QD though.
For your decibel numbers, you need to pay attention to the hosts used, for example, the 762-SD catalog number I believe is on an 18" Rem 700, while the quoted 762-SDN-6 number is from a 14.5" KAC Battle Rifle. I have no idea about the specifics of other company's testing.

Comparing different company's published numbers to each other is kind of useless. The only way to directly compare cans is on the same day, same ammo, same weapon, same testing setup.

As an aside, what makes you like the Quicksand's QD better? Have you used one extensively? What do you like about the Vortex better than the Blackout? I'm not being a wise ass, i am really just wondering.
I like the Quicksand QD better because I can recess the can into the rail and take it off with out having to mess with the lock on the ratchet (IMHO sight radius is a big deal on a SBR as well as rail space). I like the blackout but a friend of mines makes a "Ping" sound when he uses it with his can so that is why I think I will go with the Vortex/Quicksand. Don't get me wrong, if I was going into battle I would go with an AAC b/c everyone knows its a tank that takes atone of abuse. But sense I am only shooting semi auto with limited rapid fire i feel that the Quicksand and its attachment is better for me. Plus its lighter and shorter and on a SBR thats a big deal to me as well. Now if someone would do a side by side comparison of the Quicksand/vortex and the 762-SDN-6/Blackout with the same ammo same barrel same day and the AAC won I would seriously consider changing my mind. But unless others can give a good reason not to go with the Quicksand I feel that it is ms best option for a SBR 300blk.
Last edited by trenttyre on Sun May 08, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I don't know enough about the QuickSand to give actual reasons. It would seem risky to be to pass by the AAC for anything else though. I have not got wind of any news that anyone else was close. The Army recently bought 12,000 BLACKOUTs and rushed them into combat after testing the Vortex, YHM, and some other flash suppressors.
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

The arbiter seems to be a very good BLK can as well, the price is really good, and it weighs like 14oz. I havent heard it next to the 7.62sd or the sandstorm, but it is a very quiet can. As far as the ping with the blackout fh, I have found a bronze shim takes out alot of that, or just use the blackout brake.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Whatever can you get, check to make sure it has enough clearance. Long 220 grain bullets are not the same as varmint bullets. I know some companies run tight bores to try to recover some sound.
amatac

Post by amatac »

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=20&t=342185
This would be a serious consideration for me with a Gemtech can. YHM Phantom .308 Ti can be found for under a grand and uses a QD mount that can be tucked under your forearm, but it is longer.
There is no hunting like the hunting of man...
FFL/SOT
silencedamerica.com
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

amatac wrote:http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=20&t=342185
This would be a serious consideration for me with a Gemtech can. YHM Phantom .308 Ti can be found for under a grand and uses a QD mount that can be tucked under your forearm, but it is longer.
Damn, that's actually kind of shocking...
Just loctite the tube back on? No thank you.
Kick Ass Design