Best can for a 300blk?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Best can for a 300blk?

Post by trenttyre »

So I am building a 300blk and I am looking for a great can that can also be used on other .30 cal and 5.56 uppers. the 2 that I am considering are the AAC 762-SDN-6 (for obvious reasons) and the Gemtech Quicksand because it is advertised as lighter, shorter, quieter and is easier to attach. Has anyone used the Quicksand with 300blk? Has anyone done a side by side comparison? Any help or info will be greatly appreciated. I have not heard much about gemtech but what i have heard has been good. Does this hold true? I know AAC is great and that their cans are work horses.

It will be on a 10-12" barrel that will rarely be bump fired.

Thanks guys
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best can for a 300blk?

Post by imyomama »

I use a SAS arbiter Titanium can on mine and like it allot ... much lighter than my cyclone , and balances well on 9" Ar..

then again I don't rapid fire , and primarily use it for hunting .. so carry weight is more an issue than cyclic rate for me ...

I also wanted thread on , so I can recess the can and threads inside the handguard for extra protection and cleaner look..
can't do that on "ratchet QD cans..."

here's what it looks like .. can is rated all the way to 300 win mag...

-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
knoxville
Silent Operator

Post by knoxville »

trenttyre,

I too, am probably going to start the paperwork on a SAS Arbiter in the next month. The price of the Titanium can is comprable to every one elses stainless. Tim offers a direct thread on, a thread on over brake and a QD. This can was recomended to me by a gun builder that has always done me right, so I trust his experience. I realize that it is not one of the two that you listed in your thread, but if you are like me saving dollars is very immportant also. If you don't mind the weight SAS has stainless cans also at excellent pricing....

imyomama,

What is your opinion of the suppression quality of the Arbiter over your Cyclone. I to have a Cyclone and your opinion will give me an idea of what to expect. I think I am going to go with the QD or the Thread over brake attachment
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

knoxville wrote:trenttyre,

I too, am probably going to start the paperwork on a SAS Arbiter in the next month. The price of the Titanium can is comprable to every one elses stainless. Tim offers a direct thread on, a thread on over brake and a QD. This can was recomended to me by a gun builder that has always done me right, so I trust his experience. I realize that it is not one of the two that you listed in your thread, but if you are like me saving dollars is very immportant also. If you don't mind the weight SAS has stainless cans also at excellent pricing....

imyomama,

What is your opinion of the suppression quality of the Arbiter over your Cyclone. I to have a Cyclone and your opinion will give me an idea of what to expect. I think I am going to go with the QD or the Thread over brake attachment

Come on man dont highjack the thread! please keep comments pertinent to the original post
9mmkungfu
Silent Operator

Post by 9mmkungfu »

I don't know if anyone can do a side-by-side comparison since the SDN6 hasn't been released yet, has it?

I own a 762SD and a Sandstorm (Quicksand, minus fast attach assembly). The Sandstorm is lighter, and shorter, but a little louder. JMHO.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

trenttyre wrote:

imyomama,

Come on man dont highjack the thread! please keep comments pertinent to the original post

22 posts and already trying to make friends .... the guy's only trying to help you out ... the 7.62sd has more than likely similar internals than the cyclone... pretty sure the sd is just a QD cyclone (AAC can better chime on that...) ... all of which are viable solutions for what you're looking for...

but I can definitelly put you on the " do not distrub list " if you don't like my help or opinion...
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

imyomama wrote:
trenttyre wrote:

imyomama,

22 posts and already trying to make friends .... the guy's only trying to help you out ... the 7.62sd has more than likely similar internals than the cyclone... pretty sure the sd is just a QD cyclone (AAC can better chime on that...) ... all of which are viable solutions for what you're looking for...

but I can definitelly put you on the " do not distrub list " if you don't like my help or opinion...

I wasnt trying to be a dick, i understand that there is a sense of tome lost over the internet in forums so I apologize if it came across insensitive. I just hate when people ask questions to specific members in the forums because that is what PM's are for.

I have narrowed my search down to the two cans listed and I am really only looking for info and comparisons on those 2 cans. Thank you for your input though
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

9mmkungfu wrote:I don't know if anyone can do a side-by-side comparison since the SDN6 hasn't been released yet, has it?

I own a 762SD and a Sandstorm (Quicksand, minus fast attach assembly). The Sandstorm is lighter, and shorter, but a little louder. JMHO.

Thanks, that is interesting because the Quicksand is advertised as having a 32dB reduction and the 762SD is listed as having 29dB. Oh NM the sandstorm is listed as 27dB reduction so that makes sense.

Thanks for the info.
9mmkungfu
Silent Operator

Post by 9mmkungfu »

trenttyre wrote:
9mmkungfu wrote:I don't know if anyone can do a side-by-side comparison since the SDN6 hasn't been released yet, has it?

Thanks, that is interesting because the Quicksand is advertised as having a 32dB reduction and the 762SD is listed as having 29dB. Oh NM the sandstorm is listed as 27dB reduction so that makes sense.

Thanks for the info.
That sounds about right (762SD being 2db quieter). I don't have any way of scientifically testing it, but my ear meter says they're close, with the edge going to the 762SD.
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

9mmkungfu wrote:
trenttyre wrote:

Thanks for the info.
That sounds about right (762SD being 2db quieter). I don't have any way of scientifically testing it, but my ear meter says they're close, with the edge going to the 762SD.

Yea I think I may go with the Quicksand because i like the QD attachment better than AAC's ratchet type, plus you can get it with a votex flash hider and it is 2dB quieter than the 762-SDN-6. Mostly because of the QD though.