Rather than a Mini4... how about a Mini300?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

curious sam
Silent But Deadly

Rather than a Mini4... how about a Mini300?

Post by curious sam »

I love the Mini4 concept. Hollywood quiet is great, but I mainly want compact, light, and not ear shattering.

Since the SDN6 is rated for FA 308 out of an SBR -

What about a can that is purpose built for the 300 that is lighter (ti?), shorter (add 3" to oal), and perhaps not "out of this world" quiet, but rather allows for a gun that you could use a 8" bbl, add 3" with the can, have exceptionally quick handling, low weight, and knock enough sound off that supersonic 300B rounds so that it wasn't painful...

Just thinking out loud :)
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Re: Rather than a Mini4... how about a Mini300?

Post by JasonAAC »

curious sam wrote:I love the Mini4 concept. Hollywood quiet is great, but I mainly want compact, light, and not ear shattering.

What about a can that is purpose built for the 300 that is lighter (ti?), shorter (add 3" to oal), and perhaps not "out of this world" quiet, but rather allows for a gun that you could use a 8" bbl, add 3" with the can, have exceptionally quick handling, low weight, and knock enough sound off that supersonic 300B rounds so that it wasn't painful...

I like the idea, and will be a possibility once the 300 BLK is out there in good quantities.

The problem is that it would be a 30 cal can, so a "MINI300" that is tiny and takes the edge off of the 300 BLK would be scary loud on a .308 gun... When there are more 300 BLK hosts out there it'd be cool.
Kick Ass Design
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I don't think I would want a smaller can than the 762-SDN-6.
curious sam
Silent But Deadly

Post by curious sam »

JasonAAC wrote:
curious sam wrote:I love the Mini4 concept. Hollywood quiet is great, but I mainly want compact, light, and not ear shattering.

I like the idea, and will be a possibility once the 300 BLK is out there in good quantities.

The problem is that it would be a 30 cal can, so a "MINI300" that is tiny and takes the edge off of the 300 BLK would be scary loud on a .308 gun... When there are more 300 BLK hosts out there it'd be cool.
My thought is that it wouldn't necessarily be rated for 7.62x51 - design it to be the smallest, lightest can the 300BLK would still benefit from - much like the Mini4 for the .223.

Since I haven't played with the SDN6 yet, I'm admittedly just rambling - but since the SDN6 is obviously overbuilt for the 762x35, just curious how much you could strip away and still have a effective can.
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

The SAS Arbiter quiet on the blk, weighs something like 140z, is .300win mag rated and has a reasonable price tag.
Or, go to a custom shop and have one made up, to fit your needs. If you pick the right shop, it wont be too costly.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
threeheadeddog

Post by threeheadeddog »

I have seen the video of Larry Vickers pouring water down a Surefire can on a MK18.

I love the idea of a mini300 equiped 8'' gun that could shoot supersonic and take a little bite out, but have the versatility to put subs in and just wet the can for better sound suppression.