300 ACC BlK 300 whisper 300 -221 need a little help

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

da bugman
Silent But Deadly

300 ACC BlK 300 whisper 300 -221 need a little help

Post by da bugman »

I am a little slow on the up take ,what is the differance in the 3 rounds.

I know the acc and whisper are on the 223 case and that the throat and neck dia are a little different. No reaming required with the ACC, and a longer throat on the acc allowing faster supersonic loads.

CH die has a dillon trim die for the whisper but has not made one for tha acc. Is the body of the case the same for both rounds. Should I wait for a official 300 acc die. I do not want to form sloppy cases. I have a dillon 650 and 2000 new lake city match cases ready to go. Should I just get the whisper die and form the case a little long in the shoulder but trim to lenght, then finish it by running it through my forster full lengh die set to give me a couple thou clearance on the shoulder based on how fired cases measure?

I have seen a posting of suggested OAL for different bullets some were, but I can't find it now does anybody have a link?

I have the 8 twist 16 " noveski ss barrel installed and ready to go. I hope to shoot it later this week. I don't have a 308 can so I am not worried about sub sonic loads .

A buddy gave me 200 speer hot core 110 spire point and 400 hornady 110 spire points are these any good for deer or pig size game. What bullet weight will give the best performance on deer or pig size animal at super sonic levels, I have one box of the barnes tsx tac in 110 and a box of the tip tsx at 135 gr.

If they shoot well I most like will shoot the barnes on game.

Thanks for any help you can give me in getting starte with this round.

JD
Notar
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 ACC BlK 300 whisper 300 -221 need a little help

Post by Notar »

The Whisper trim die from C4Hd will make 300 Blackout brass. In a 650, you will have issues with the window area being inside the toolhead, after trimming a couple of cases, you'll need to get the chips out of there. IF the trim die doesn't set the headspace where you want it, then hit it with a Fireball or 300 Blackout die sizing die, setting the shoulder back .005-006 from your fired cases should be perfect.

Using fireball, or 300 Blackout dies will make good ammo.
300Blk
Site Admin

Re: 300 ACC BlK 300 whisper 300 -221 need a little help

Post by 300Blk »

There is no standard to 300-221 so one cannot name that cartridge and then have it mean anything. On a case per case basis one can get the drawing that any given die was made to, and compare it to the 300 AAC BLACKOUT SAAMI drawing, and decide if it is in spec. Really that is up to each die maker to certify compliance. We did not try to make the 300 AAC BLACKOUT incompatible, so the odds are that it is compatible is good, but we don't have each die maker's drawings so we cannot say for sure.