Red Dot Sight/Compact Optic for 300 BLACKOUT PDW

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

700PSS
Elite Member

Red Dot Sight/Compact Optic for 300 BLACKOUT PDW

Post by 700PSS »

Please list your recommendations (e.g. Aimpoint T-1, Eotech XPS, etc.), including applicable quick-detach mounts. (I plan to use Magpul MBUS sights, perfect co-witnessed through the optic.)

Yes, these things can get expensive. Not looking to spend the most $ possible on the optic, but well above the cheap level.

List some good options and I'll relist them as a poll.

Thanks!
"Common sense should be rebranded as uncommon practical knowledge of things you should know.”-nolwark76
300Blk
Site Admin

Re: Red Dot Sight/Compact Optic for 300 BLACKOUT PDW

Post by 300Blk »

For now I would suggest a Ti with a KAC mount.

It won't handle the bullet drop of course, but that is what I would use today.

The good news is that you will always have a use for it on something.
Stickman
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stickman »

Another Aimpoint T1 in KAC mount vote from me.

Stick

I've done work photography work with 45 or so manufacturers within the firearm community, my images have been used for catalogs, magazines, covers, etc. I have also shot work for the US Military. I am prior service and a full time LEO.

I now also shoot and write for Military Times. My primary focus will stay with weapons, accessories and related equipment reviews. Manufacturers can reach me through any of the boards. Have something new? Let me know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stickgunner
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

I'd vote H1. Nothing it doesn't do for the commercial user that the T1 does which means the delta is wasted money.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

AIMPOINT rates the battery life of the micro equal to the M3. Is that really true for the same brightness dot?

They say 50,000 hours. The M4 is 60% longer life rating, but the battery is about 15 times the physical size. Do we think their numbers are reliable?
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

rob_s wrote:I'd vote H1. Nothing it doesn't do for the commercial user that the T1 does which means the delta is wasted money.
I agree on the H-1. I see the T-1 for as low as $608 and the H-1 for as low as $542. Figure another $131.25 for KAC mounts (if/when they become available again, hopefully at that price).

EOTech XPS2-0 as low as $469. I don't see a good QD option for EOTech. If sight height of Magpul MBUS is 1.5", does EOTech axis center also fall at 1.5" for co-witness?
"Common sense should be rebranded as uncommon practical knowledge of things you should know.”-nolwark76
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

The reason why I want a 1.4 inch sight height is not so that I can co-witness but rather because that is the standard height for an AR sight. Is is the cheekweld that works for me. It is the cheek weld I am used to. This is why 'lower 1/3 co-witness' is so dreadful - you compromise your optic position just so that the iron sight you never use is in the lower 1/3rd. What a bad idea that seems to be.

With a red-dot sight, I recommend a front sight only. If you want a rear backup at all, use a KAC or one that is normally down. If your red-dot dies when you are shooting, just use the red-dot sight as a ghost-ring along with the front sight. Then if you have time, and have one, flip up the rear.
st33ve0

Post by st33ve0 »

silencertalk wrote:The reason why I want a 1.4 inch sight height is not so that I can co-witness but rather because that is the standard height for an AR sight. Is is the cheekweld that works for me. It is the cheek weld I am used to. This is why 'lower 1/3 co-witness' is so dreadful - you compromise your optic position just so that the iron sight you never use is in the lower 1/3rd. What a bad idea that seems to be.

With a red-dot sight, I recommend a front sight only. If you want a rear backup at all, use a KAC or one that is normally down. If your red-dot dies when you are shooting, just use the red-dot sight as a ghost-ring along with the front sight. Then if you have time, and have one, flip up the rear.
This. I can shoot minute of bad guy at close range pretty reliably with just the hood of my EOTech and an A2 front sight. Not ideal, but with the much lower battery life of the EOTech's it does in a pinch. I'd vote for a T-1 or H-1 as that's probably what I'll be doing on my build unless the Leupold 300 BLK showing is as impressive as I think it's going to be.

I've never understood the appeal of lower 1/3 cowitness.
Psalm 144:1
Morior Invictus
http://www.flickr.com/photos/st33ve0/
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

st33ve0 wrote:
silencertalk wrote:The reason why I want a 1.4 inch sight height is not so that I can co-witness but rather because that is the standard height for an AR sight. Is is the cheekweld that works for me. It is the cheek weld I am used to. This is why 'lower 1/3 co-witness' is so dreadful - you compromise your optic position just so that the iron sight you never use is in the lower 1/3rd. What a bad idea that seems to be.

This. I can shoot minute of bad guy at close range pretty reliably with just the hood of my EOTech and an A2 front sight. Not ideal, but with the much lower battery life of the EOTech's it does in a pinch. I'd vote for a T-1 or H-1 as that's probably what I'll be doing on my build unless the Leupold 300 BLK showing is as impressive as I think it's going to be.

I've never understood the appeal of lower 1/3 cowitness.
I agree with both of you here. I measured the center peep height above the rail on my Magpul MBUS rear sight and it is 1.40" high and perfectly centered co-witness through my Aimpoint. Not having to change cheek-weld is a big plus. The red dot is right on top of the front sight post.

I’m leaning toward the Aimpoint H-1 with the QD conversion and high spacer. I hope that will result in the correct height. The KAC mount comes with different height spacers to choose from, although it’s not currently available.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

My choice for a 1x optic is the Gen III Trijicon Tri-Power with an A.R.M.S. Throw Lever Mount.
Reason being, the chevron makes for extreemly fast aquisition.
By using the tip of the chevron it is also more accurate than a red dot optic since it does not obscure any of the target.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain