Scope for 300 BLK?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Scope for 300 BLK?

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I read that a scope manufacture (cannot remember who) would make a custom reticle for a 300 Fireball. Does anyone know if there is a "standard" scope in the making for the 300 BLK?
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Re: Scope for 300 BLK?

Post by Twinsen »

Leupold will do custom reticles, but I think you have to provide them all the data.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

The promotional PDF on http://www.300aacblackout.com/ states that there will be "Custom Reticle for FFP Optics".

On that page it shows an image of a Leupold Mark 4 2.5-8x36mm MR/T M1 Illum. Reticle.

That peticular optic is not currently available in an FFP model and none of Leupold's current FFP optics have any illumination.

The reticle displayed looks like one of the IOR Valdada's CQB-BDC Reticles

I suspect that the images in the 300 BLK PDF were either just a generic ones to make things pretty and that there is some type of development in progress with one of the optics manufactures to provide a FFP optic with a custom reticle.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I am going to Leupold next week to decide. I think a FFP 1.5-5 may be good.
st33ve0

Post by st33ve0 »

silencertalk wrote:I am going to Leupold next week to decide. I think a FFP 1.5-5 may be good.
Psalm 144:1
Morior Invictus
http://www.flickr.com/photos/st33ve0/
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Did Leupold indicate to you that FFP would be available to you in those body styles?
I know they are not available as a catalog item at this point in time.
I'm sure they have something in development though.

It would be alot quicker to have a reticle customized to be put into a FFP optic that is currently in production.
Of course a new optic design would be great, but Leupold is notorious slow when it comes to their new product releases.

The only current Leupold production optic that is FFP and at a low enough power to be considered for this platform would be the Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M3 Front Focal.
Other optics company's products that could work well would be:
Vortex Razor HD 1-4x24 FFP
US Optics SN-4S 1-4x FFP
US Optics SN-4 1.5-6x FFP
US Optics SN-3 1.5-10x FFP
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
silentbushmaster
Silent Operator

Post by silentbushmaster »

silencertalk wrote:I am going to Leupold next week to decide. I think a FFP 1.5-5 may be good.
It would guess the BDC would go out to about 200 yards or so. What do you think?
"10TH Mountain Division, Climb to Glory"
BWE Firearms

Post by BWE Firearms »

I use a fixed 4X pentex on my 50 THUMPER which has about the same drop at subsonic velocities and I shoot it out to 500 yards. I can see my holdover mark and still see the target. So you should be able to have a BDC retical done for at least 500 yards.
Richard Hoffman

BWE Firearms & Parts
Longwood, FL 32750
(407) 592-3975
[email protected]
www.bwefirearms.com
Hoop

Post by Hoop »

I have done a bit of T&E on the 300/221 caliber in the past. Mostly with sub sonic suppressed rounds. Here is the scope I found to be best on a suppressed bolt gun:

Leupold 3.5x10x40 MK4 M3 with zero stop removed on the elevation turret.

The M3 allowed less cranking on the knobs as the trajectory is a rainbow and with this caliber, a 1/4 moa adjustment is meaningless past 125 yds.

With a 20 moa base on the remington 700 platform, I used Pesja ballistics program on my palm and it gave dope to within 1 moa of my actual field testing out to 400 yards.

My load:
Remington same lot .223 case trimmed and headspaced to within .0015" of chamber headspace.
Winchester 246 powder @ approx. 10gr.(H110 works fine too but I like the W246)
220 SMK projectile loaded just off the lands.

When loading these I found that you really needed to pay close attention to the loading die settings and it was best to use a fired case to measure from. Since the round has an extremely short shoulder to headspace on, you really need to custom make a bushing for your brass headspace measuring tool.

This was a solid sub 3/4 moa load.
If I remember correctly, from a 100 yd zero, my dope was 54 minutes @ 400 yards but @ that distance the bullet was still traveling @ approx. 850 fps.. Muzzle velocity was 1025fps or so with an ES of 13. I have dope from 100 yds out to 400 yds. in 10 yard increments.

Good stuff.
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."
BlakeJ

Post by BlakeJ »

a dual style reticle would be cool too, for both subsonic and super.