subsonic load for home defense

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

lawboy
Silent Operator

subsonic load for home defense

Post by lawboy »

What are folks loading for home or homestead defense? I am specifically thinking about subsonic loads with heavy bullets that expand at subsonic velocities. What components do you find get that job done within that envelope?
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: subsonic load for home defense

Post by BJK »

Just curious as I always am when someone wants a subsonic load for HD. Why subsonic?

The reason I ask is that stopping power begins around 2000 fps and velocity gives huge inputs of energy to the target. Exactly what I would think one wants for the most serious of potential uses... HD where innocent lives are in the balance. A subsonic load IMO needlessly cripples exactly what I would think you'd want. That would be a quick end to the encounter. An expanding subsonic load would give the perp additional time to do evil before the damage from the bullet takes effect. It does you no good for the perp to die after doing evil to your family members. But there are good reasons for a subsonic load. I'm not going to pick on you, I'm just curious as to the reasons why.
lawboy
Silent Operator

Post by lawboy »

primarily due to noise inside a dwelling. Suppressors are prohibited here.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Thanks. Yeah, that would be one of the reasons I can think of. Reduced blast is another if the barrel is 16" or more.

If it was me I'd get a PCC for even more reduced noise and blast. Load with fast powder for the PCC. I was told by fellow squad members that my loads sounded like a .22 out of my 9mm 16" PCC. I didn't load with fast powder for that reason but for ultra quiet with a can attached.

We need to abolish the ATF so that you can have a can on it, and no $200 tax.

Sorry, can't help with what you seek. I have bullets to test but haven't gotten around to it yet.