Problem with my empty casing hittng the brass deflector

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

knj300blk

Re: Problem with my empty casing hittng the brass deflector

Post by knj300blk »

This thread is so old, but my experience is new.

My brand new Aero Precision 300blk deflect had just 60 rounds through it. I notice the deflector all tore up. I mean cerakote chunked out so you can see the shiny silver underneath. Turned out the open end of the spent shell cases was just knifing at the cerakote deflector for every cycled round.

This was odd to me on many levels, but especially because i have literally the same Aero Precision gun but in 556. No marks at all on its deflector.

My first thought was maybe its undergassed and throwing the ammo at 6 o'clock. After calling Aero Precision and reading the thread, everyone is deeming this normal. Solutions like 100mp tape, or 3m velcro strips, etc. are cited as work'arounds. Those things do help, and I am now doing them.

But being the stubborn person that i am, I am reviving this thread from ghe dead because i think there is a solution to every problem and someone has found it.

I get it that the shells are shorter than 556, but there must be a way to get the shells to extract faster or slower so the open mouth of the spent shell ---which is very sharp--- is not pinging my deflector at high speed every darn round.

Has anyone played with any of the following and noticed any differenced
Buffer - different buffers or springs
Gas - slightly under gassed or over gassed
BCG - does a lighter titanium bcg effect it
Extractor - different springs
Different Ammo - subsonics vs supers
suppression - no suppression verses non-suppression
muzzle brake - any way to impact it here