Spinning cases during trimming with RT1500

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Agent-OrangeCH

Spinning cases during trimming with RT1500

Post by Agent-OrangeCH »

Hi Guys

I'm trying to trim my 556 cases into 300 with my Dillon RT1500 and a trim die from Whidden. Now I have the problem, that as soon as the case touches the trimmer, it is starting to spin like hell. With that it is kinda grinding away material from the case bottom, looks quite nasty

When I watch videos on youtube about trimming 556 into 300 with this trimmer, it always looks so easy and no case spin at all. In my case I really need to hold that case in place until I trimmed half of the case after that I wont spin.

Is that a problem of my trim die or do I need a new blade for the trimmer? I have really no idea.

Some inputs would be great.
imashooter2

Re: Spinning cases during trimming with RT1500

Post by imashooter2 »

The Dillon 300 BLK trim die I’ve seen in videos also sizes. Does the Widden? I’d imagine that the sizing holds the case pretty securely.
Agent-OrangeCH

Post by Agent-OrangeCH »

yes, it actually sizes the case too but the 300 neck seems to be to high. I guess I need to re-size it again, to push the neck down.
Here is a pic how the cases look after the trim ->https://imgur.com/zybfAaW

I just made a test, cut off the neck of some 556 cases and trimmed them. Didnt spin at all but I dont want to add another step in the trim process.
cdl
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cdl »

The base of the trim die needs to touch the shell holder so the full length of the brass is sized.

All my trim dies seem to bump the shoulder a thousandth or so less than I like even though I let the handle barely start to cam over. But nothing like that.

If you can't screw the die down anymore, I'd worry the die was cut too deep and look for a different one.
Agent-OrangeCH

Post by Agent-OrangeCH »

yes, the base of the trim die is touching the shell holder. I had to screw it down a bit, so that the trim die starting to size the case before the trim is starting. In this case the die is holding the case in place and it wont start spinning.

But no matter what I do, the neck of the sized cases is always 1-2mm to high when I compare it to my 300 blackout cases. When I re-size it again with my Lyman 300 blackout FL size die, the neck is at the correct position.

Here are some pics of my die https://imgur.com/a/Bn8NNEK

So I really starting to think, that my trim die is somehow no correct
cdl
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cdl »

I run the two die set from GSI International, rough and finish. I was considering maybe that was a roughing die, but both my dies bump the shoulder to the same spot and don't spin when they do. They just neck it down in two steps.

Anyway, I think you have a bad die.