Hodgdon Lil Gun

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Boom12Bravo

Hodgdon Lil Gun

Post by Boom12Bravo »

I read the sticky on powders and that Lil Gun may not work well in 16” AR barrels unsupressed. Anyone have issues? I purchased a pound of it, but after reading the sticky I might just sell it, and stick with H110. I have 150g SST And 150g Interlock SP.
U.S. Army - Combat Engineer - Iraq War Veteran
BobinNC
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hodgdon Lil Gun

Post by BobinNC »

Lil Gun is all I use in my 16" 300 BLK. I don't own a suppressor. I also don't bother with subsonics as I have no suppressor.

Hodgdon uses a 16" barrel for it's 300 Blackout velocity/pressure tests. Lil Gun yields the highest velocity at the least pressure of all the powders they make and recommend for it for supersonic use, for bullets 150 grains and under .

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

What the Sticky was saying is some trouble could be encountered with cycling if your 16" rifle uses a carbine length GAS system. We are not talking about the barrel length, we're talking about the position of the gas block.

Most 300 BO today are using a pistol length gas system (again we're not talking about barrel length).
dpete
Silent But Deadly

Post by dpete »

I never had a problem with it in two 16" barrels with carbine gas systems using 110-130 grain bullets.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Been doing 300 BLK load development & testing since 2010.
LilGun' has been dropped from my primary lineup for 300 BLK.
The powders that produce the best results are:
N110, N120, W296, & H110

Others work just fine, but don't do as well with velocity, ES, and clean burning.
A1680 & LilGun' in particular is super filthy.
If you are running a suppressor, then things like this matter.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

I have dropped Lil Gun as well, but for different reasons.
A) It generates more heat than any other powder I use. Noticeably hotter barrels and other parts.
B) Documented cases of instability (pressure spikes/valleys) at low temperatures - Below 30 degrees ambient temperature.
pj-schmidt
Silent Operator

Post by pj-schmidt »

Supersonic loads of lil'gun work fine in my 14.5" carbine gas rifle. I've never tried subsonic loads of lil'gun in that gun.

Having said that I use H110 for my supers and 4227 for my subs since they run cleaner than lil'gun and 1680 in my supressed sbr.
rwilky78

Post by rwilky78 »

I'm fairly new to loading 300 BLK. I have a 16" barrel with a pistol length gas system. I started out with CFE-BLK which performed fine but read here about Lil'gun so i tried it. I got great velocities and with lil'gun with 110 -150 grain bullets.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

Boom12Bravo wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:04 am I read the sticky on powders and that Lil Gun may not work well in 16” AR barrels unsupressed. Anyone have issues? I purchased a pound of it, but after reading the sticky I might just sell it, and stick with H110. I have 150g SST And 150g Interlock SP.
theres no reason it wont function for supersonic loads - its subsonic unsuppressed that advise is referring to.

shoot it up - no reason to get rid of a well known good super powder, especially considering the current circumstances of component availability
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

Shame to waste 150 gr SST pills in 300 BLK loads. They make excellent .308 Win rounds.
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

Ben B. wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:03 am Shame to waste 150 gr SST pills in 300 BLK loads. They make excellent .308 Win rounds.
they also happen to be commonly available (normally anyway) and relatively cheap so why not?

i mean.. the standard hornady 150gr fmj's are what? 21cents each (again before everything went sideways on components)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.