Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

jtaylor996
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jtaylor996 »

Last edited by jtaylor996 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Re: OAL Gauge useless for 300BLK?

Post by Ben B. »

I have the Hornady OAL Gauge, and recently tried it with 110 gr Noslers in my RARR. The chamber/leade/whatever is big enough to accommodate subs and the 110s were well out of the case before touching the lands.

I concluded that if the leade is long enough to chamber long subs, it is too long to worry about getting supers to the lands.
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It’s fairly normal for any cartridge that Mac COL is determined by magazine length, not chamber length.

For what it’s worth the chamber was designed for a 220 SMK to be .010” off the lands at 2.260”.

The gauge is most useful to find the sleeper bullets that there is no data for and will jam at 2.260”. An early example was the Hornady data for their 150 FMJ in the 9th edition. The listed length jammed about .020” if I remember right.

There are a host of other bullets that will jam and have been a few chambers that were known to be short like the early Noveske “match chambered” barrels.

My opinion is in times like these, where people start using any bullet they can get there hands on, finding the lands is a very smart idea. There is a reason a lot of bullets don’t show up in Blackout data.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BobinNC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BobinNC »

The #1 Rule for reloading in any magazine fed rifle is: All loads must fit and feed from the magazine.

The MAX COAL that fits in the chamber is irrelevant unless you also plan on single loading them.