Handloads for Sig Rattler

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Handloads for Sig Rattler

Post by dellet »

jakeAMP wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:54 pm
dellet wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:30 pm
jakeAMP wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:16 pm Hey folks, been a minute. I FINALLY got a chance to work up a load with N110 and test it.

I used the same brass, primers, and bullets as my H110 load, but I used 9.8gr of N110 and seated to a COAL of 2.21.

You guys were totally right about N110, it’s completely hearing safe, not nearly as blasty as the H110. It cycles both suppressed and unsuppressed. It does NOT lock my Rattler’s bolt back unsuppressed, and it seems to be a 50/50 shot whether it’ll lock back suppressed. Not sure what to do about that, I don’t want to increase pressures any further because the velocity is right where I want it. Not a huge deal for me though, I’m thinking I’ll probably still use H110 for the “business” loads, if you will, or I might work up a super load with N110 later. In fact, I think I might try that next weekend.

But I digress. Again, refer to my last H110 load for cases, primers, bullets, but with 9.8gr of N110 and a COAL of 2.21, I was getting between 1030-1060fps, with a three inch group at 50 yards with no signs of instability. STD DEV was 13~

Cheers, folks, stay safe.
If you have room move the bullet out .020”
I backed them out to a COAL of 2.23, no notable changes.
Moving the bullet out does two things, drops peak pressure and velocity. Dropping peak pressure, increases port pressure for cycling.

You can try moving the bullet out a bit more, as velocity drops add a bit of powder to get it back. The combination and possibly playing with a crimp is generally enough to push reliability over the edge on a load that is almost there.

Also check for leaks in the gas system.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
jakeAMP

Post by jakeAMP »

Right on, I’ll play around with it a little bit this weekend, thanks dellet 🤙
jakeAMP

Post by jakeAMP »

So I backed the bullets out to 2.245 or so, and weirdly enough I still saw no notable difference. Velocity was still right around 1050, still had reliable ejection, but still could not lock back. Would you think it advisable to back it out even further?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

How about posting current, complete load data and is this with without a suppressor that you can’t get bolt lock?

I generally start with a a powder charge that is reliable for function then manipulate the old for function. It’s surprising what a .1 grain change can do.
jakeAMP

Post by jakeAMP »

Sure thing, current data for the N110 load is as follows:

Bullet: Sierra 220gr HPBT Matchking

Case: Converted Lake City (Fancy Brass Co.)

Powder: N110

Charge: 9.8gr

Primer: Winchester Small Rifle

COAL: 2.24”

Avg Velocity: 1054

Cycles reliably with/without suppressor, does not lock back either way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Do you have a load that does lock back all the time?
jakeAMP

Post by jakeAMP »

Yeah, the H110 load a couple pages back runs perfectly, I was just trying to get N110 to work because it does seem a bit quieter and takes a smaller charge. I’m wondering if I should try 200gr bullets with the N110.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I would max out the load and work back.

Probably 10.5 grains at 2.26”. That might go super depending on temp but probably around 1125 fps. If that does not get the bolt locking back it might be a bad combination for the Rattler.

If the 10.5 works, depending on velocity, Then drop the load to split the difference to around 10.2/3. The faster powders can be an exercise in frustration to get working and changes of .1 grain of powder or .010” seated depth can make a huge difference.

In general if I have a working load with H110, I drop it .5 for N110.

What is interesting is they the suppressor does not push the load over the edge for reliable bolt hold open. Generally that is enough back pressure. A good deep clean and lube might be worth while.
jakeAMP

Post by jakeAMP »

Awesome, I’ll give that a shot next weekend.

I’m using an OSS, so while there is *some* added back pressure, it’s not nearly the amount that most cans would induce.
jakeAMP

Post by jakeAMP »

Alright, so I’m thinking that N110 with 220’s out of the Rattler is a bust. Might work out of other systems like the PDX, or with a different can with more back pressure, but I’m not having luck with the Sig/OSS combo.

I backed the bullets out to about 2.255, if I go too much further I’ll be having trouble with the magazine.

I kept the same charge as before, and was still achieving accurate and consistent results at around 1050fps, exactly where I want it. They cycled and fed fine, but they do not want to lock back. I also observed today, shooting them back to back, that at 9.8gr the difference in loudness and tone between the N110 and H110 loads seems to be marginal, if not negligible.

I think I’m going to try my luck with 200gr bullets and see what happens there, just to say I did. Again, it might be worth it to you guys using a small PDW besides the Rattler to try that 220 N110 load, the Rattler’s recoil system is pretty stout compared to like an H or standard carbine buffer or something of the like, that’s what I’m going to attribute the failure to lock back to.

I’m still extremely happy with the H110 load, they’re cycling perfectly, locking back reliably, all the good things. Now that it’s cold as f*ck outside they are going super from time to time, but I’m not worried about them cracking here and there for 2-3 months out of the year here in southern PA. I will probably try dropping that charge to 10.7 to see what happens there, but I’m not overwhelmingly concerned about it either way.

Hope y’all are doing well, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, folks. Stay safe.