Brass condition question

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Spaghetti

Brass condition question

Post by Spaghetti »

Co worker brought me 300 rds of 5.56 to cut down, but he washed it and didn’t let it dry, its been sitting in a coffee container for weeks and now has the blue/green stuff all over it 🙄 should i just toss the ones with the corrosion? Or can they be saved?
Thanks
“Sometimes I’ll start a sentence, and I don’t even know where it’s going. I just hope I find it along the way.”
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: Brass condition question

Post by BJK »

I'd polish them and then decide. Depending on what weeks actually means and what the wet was they might be OK.

Or you can send them to me for proper disposal.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

Run them through the tumbler. If there is no etching in the brass caused by the stains, shoot em'.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
Spaghetti

Post by Spaghetti »

BJK wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:23 am I'd polish them and then decide. Depending on what weeks actually means and what the wet was they might be OK.

Or you can send them to me for proper disposal.
May have been a month and a half🙄 i had no clue he did that until he brought me a second batch where he told me what he did, and i dumped rice in the container until i got out if work.
“Sometimes I’ll start a sentence, and I don’t even know where it’s going. I just hope I find it along the way.”
Spaghetti

Post by Spaghetti »

rlandry6 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:56 pm Run them through the tumbler. If there is no etching in the brass caused by the stains, shoot em'.
When i scrub the green/blue off theres like a dark mark on some but no indention in the brass.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Run it through a tumbler. I bet it will be fine.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Spaghetti

Post by Spaghetti »

gds wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:21 am Run it through a tumbler. I bet it will be fine.
Now i need a tumbler 🤔 lol
exexex

Post by exexex »

Do you know someone with a tumbler? They might be willing to run it for you.

I have read about some home-made case cleaning solutions, so you might try googling that. Just soaking them in a solution, rinsing, and hand-wiping might help.

It might not be worth keeping the brass. But if the dry tumbling does not work, a wet rotary tumbler would be the next best step. It's different tumbler than the dry/vibratory and you need to make or get a cleaner. But it can clean up really bad brass. Add steel pins to the wet tumble and if that doesn't work toss the brass.

Good luck.
Spaghetti

Post by Spaghetti »

exexex wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:03 pm Do you know someone with a tumbler? They might be willing to run it for you.

I have read about some home-made case cleaning solutions, so you might try googling that. Just soaking them in a solution, rinsing, and hand-wiping might help.

It might not be worth keeping the brass. But if the dry tumbling does not work, a wet rotary tumbler would be the next best step. It's different tumbler than the dry/vibratory and you need to make or get a cleaner. But it can clean up really bad brass. Add steel pins to the wet tumble and if that doesn't work toss the brass.

Good luck.
🤙🏼 Thanks
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

Yea, I would wet tumble with pins, it will get all the corrosion out and let you see if there is any pitting. If one is not available, I would put them in a plastic coffee can with a lid, add water citric acid and dawn, let them sit for a few minutes then swirl them around a bit, should get most of it out.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~