Looking for sub-sonic bullet options

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

ashman40

Re: Looking for sub-sonic bullet options

Post by ashman40 »

Not trying to hijack the thread but I have a related question... are there any 30-cal (heavy) bullets suitable for subsonic 300 BLK loads but that properly expand/mushroom at subsonic speeds?? I believe all the heavy bullets are designed for use in 308/30-06 and the speeds normal for these cartridges (2000fps+).

I have tried reloading a variety of 30-cal jacketed bullets. All the heavy bullets are "ballistic tip", SP or HP. None are meant for subsonic speeds. I worry at subsonic speeds they are just expensive FMJ bullets when used at subsonic speeds. I have not done any bullet expansion testing so I do't know. At subsonic speeds are my bullets expanding at all??

Has anyone done subsonic 300 BLK load tests to find a bullet that actually expands?
AshMan40
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

You didn't mention price or materials. Lehigh has what you want and maybe Maker (I think that's it's name) but I'm unfamiliar with the latter.

Plenty of gel tests on Youtube regarding the Lehigh.

Edit:

They might have others but these are the 2 that I know of.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/all?ajaxf ... fracturing

https://www.lehighdefense.com/all?ajaxf ... -expansion

https://makerbullets.com/products.php?c ... =70,2,5,43
ashman40

Post by ashman40 »

Thanks! I'll look into those. And I'll go looking for the YouTube videos.
AshMan40
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

If you have access to 1 gallon milk jugs you can do your own expansion testing. It won't be precisely what's to be expected in gel or flesh but at least it allows comparison between bullets. I did it for handgun bullets years ago and I had no Fackler Box. That was years before YouTube. I backed up the (liquid) water filled milk jugs with a thick catalog and lost very few expanded bullets (They don't always track straight). Obviously the jugs get lined up so that the bullet can travel through more than one. But again, it's water that's expanding the bullet and not gel. Flesh is mostly water, but denser. I figured that if a bullet expanded in water it would expand in flesh. Not very scientific, but it was the best I had. Don't allow the jugs to touch so that the actual depth of penetration can be seen. If they touch, jugs not penetrated can burst from the shock, and frankly, if you do much testing filling jugs is going to get boring. You don't want jugs not engaged by the bullet to burst.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Holy crap, you folks don't read or research at all do you? I posted a pic with no type in another thread. Relevant. Lot's of stuff in the past postings , Relevant. Sorry I'm not giving a welcome feel good vibe here - Read, See then ask questions.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Hornady subx expansion down to 900 fps with .46 BC. So maybe it would expand @ 100 on an animal. Still above 900 @ 100 & 1100 fps. Push it to 1400 fps and good to go.