Looking for sub-sonic bullet options

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

flamatrix99

Looking for sub-sonic bullet options

Post by flamatrix99 »

I loaded My first 300 BO. 100 Hornady 208 gr subs Over 10.9 gr of A1680. They worked well shooting from a 10.5” PSA upper. Mainly a range toy with a SilencerCo Omega 300 suppressor. Looking for other decent priced bullet options for the range. Any suggestions?
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Re: Looking for sub-sonic bullet options

Post by cwlongshot »

To me nothing beats a cast powder coated bullet.

The caster can adjust his alloy for expansion at desired velocity. I have a few light and a heavy option in cast and they work real well For me.

But sub X bullets as well as the Nosler are out there as are Rex lehigh and a few others designed for the black out subsonic use.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

You can get 150 or 135 grain bullets for less than 9 cents a round. I just picked up 500 135 grain coated bullets for 45 bucks. Not sure about 1680 but with reloader 7, I'm using published subsonic loads for them and they cycle the action 100% reliably so far. These are what I use for plinking steel. I wouldn't use these loads for defense/hunting/precision, etc.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Yes they are available. I just bought 500 coated 158s for about $.10 per. If they work out and I don't want to try anything else I'll buy a few k.

If I can't load them subsonically I really don't care. I have some Lehighs coming in for that. Now those I don't expect to buy by the k.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

I have a feeling you can figure out how to make those work with that powder. I think the days of absolutely needing super heavy grain bullets for 300 BLK to function subsonic, are in the past. With more exploration into different powders and more data available to us, we can get into lighter bullets that are a lot cheaper. The other reason I love this caliber is because whatever doesn't work out for the 300, just ends up in a 30-30 or 308 for plinking. And vice versa. Seems like if you're a reloader, and you've got a 300 AAC AR-15, a 30-30 lever gun, and a 308 bolt gun, you've got a lot of bases covered and a lot of interchangeability with regard to components.

What are you running for a buffer by the way? Mine has a rifle stock and tube with a rifle buffer and spring, and still runs these bullets flawlessly with RL-7.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

My 10.3" build has a JP Ent' full mass BCG and a standard buffer and standard carbine buffer spring. Pistol gas port. I don't know the size. Ejection is right so I'm not screwing with buffer weight.

I want the 158s just for inexpensive shooting but lighter would also work if I can get them to function. Not that I'll accept any load. It's got to be accurate or it's not going to work for me. I'll load some 110s-125s supersonic just because I want them, and for subsonic I'll just keep watching the bullet manufacturers for their heavy bullets (jacketed,coated, or plated) to come back in stock. I really want heavy bullets for subsonic. But initially I intend to load the Lehighs to give me what I want. If they're subsonic great, if not, but if they give me what for acceptable accuracy, supersonic is OK too.

That's my plan, but it's subject to change. For the moment I'm temporarily done testing. It was suggested that I not test loads with the can attached and I'm taking that advice. But I must have something to get the blast outside the handguard. I have a linear comp' arriving tomorrow and I'll be back in business. For that matter the Lehigh bullets arrive tomorrow too.
Doindia

Post by Doindia »

Ready aim and bjk, any chance y’all can share some links of the 9-10 cent rounds you’re purchasing as of recent. I am new to the cartridge as well as reloading and i am looking for projectiles, mainly for plinking but interested in all types.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Join the club! I'm new to it also, but learning fast and there's so much to learn complicated by everything being out of stock due to gearing up for the anarchists/marxists.

I ordered mine from Dillon Precision. I can't remember the brand, but they're coated lead. They say they're good to 2000 fps, much more than I plan to push them to.

Should you see the need for SD/HD bullets Lehigh Defense has no shortage from my perspective as a customer and they shipped really fast. But they aren't for plinking.
Doindia

Post by Doindia »

Honestly at this point I am trying to load a lot of variety from plinking up. Subs and supers. I am willing to check out all options you guys suggest or have had luck with in the past during this whole covid chaos. The main reason I’m tryin to find some cheaper plink rounds is so that I can play with the process a bit
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

To that Id say CAST. Cast bullets allow for you to creat the fodder. Molds for what ever ya might want with ability for har soft Point HP cup point penta point. Skys the limit!!

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS