New to reloading / questions

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Northern300

New to reloading / questions

Post by Northern300 »

Hello, I'm new to reloading and had a few questions on a recent die set I purchased. I was told by my local sporting goods store that the RCBS .300AAC SB T/C 2pcs. die set would deprime, full length resize, seat bullets and crimp. I'm a weekend project bench build from starting my first reloading session. So I'm double and triple checking I have everything I need so I wanted to make sure as for dies this 2pc set will do the job. I was pointed to this forum from a YouTube channel and thought this would be the best way to gather info and get advice. Thank you in advance for your help and looking forward to posting more.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Re: New to reloading / questions

Post by cwlongshot »

Hello,

Yes, that die set should do what ya need. But its on you to set them Up properly to do what you need. A case gauge is most helpful in this process.

Do you have a manual? I recommend the newest Lyman and the ABC's of reloading as a start. Read them!

You will need a press, in a sturdy mount/bench, good lube I recommend IMPERIAL SIZING WAX. You need a scale to weigh the powder charges. You need a way to dispense the powder. A glass bowl and plastic scooper or a powder measure doth can work just fine. You need a way to accurately measure case and OAL lengths. You need a way to trim cases to maintain or create proper case lengths.

You need appropriate powder, Primers and projectiles.

Good luck

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
ironhead7544

Post by ironhead7544 »

For a cartridge gauge. I like the Lyman.

For various reasons, here is what I use:

RCBS Small Base sizer with the expander ball removed.

Lyman "M" die to expand the neck.

Hornady Bullet Seater.

Lee Factory Collet Crimp for a light crimp.

For a trimmer, the Lyman EZEE Trim works well. You also need an inside and outside deburring tool for the case necks. If you make cases from 5.56 military brass, you will need a primer deburring tool to remove the crimp on the case. A caliper is necessary for cartridge overall length and case length.

I would recommend the Lyman manual. They also have an AR-15 Manual and I have both.
Northern300

Post by Northern300 »

Thank you very much! Yes I picked up RCBS single stage press that came with everything you describe and more. Also have a few loading manuals and how to books. Still waiting on the Sheridan slotted 300 blk ammo gauge to restock but picked up a lyman gauge for now guess it doesn't hurt to have multiples. This weekend is the bench build project once done I'm going to give it a go. Thanks for the advice I'm sure I'll be back with more question in the future.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

sounds like you have everything you need. setting your dies up can be the trickiest part but once its done its done. welcome to reloading, its a "sport" all in itself.
peace through superior firepower
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Both are very good books that take you from basics to top level competition and have pore info for the autoloader. If I only bought one it would be Top Grade Ammo.

Midsouth shooters supply has a reloading blog and most of the info comes from these books if you want samples.

https://www.buyzedikerbooks.com/products/top-grade-ammo

https://www.buyzedikerbooks.com/collect ... ompetition

sooner or later, crimping and seating in the same will either get you in trouble or be the cause of some headache that you can't explain. O good 3 die set generally is not that much more than a 2 die and gives you better control.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Northern300

Post by Northern300 »

Do you have recommendation on a crimp and bullet seating die or the ones from the other replies will do the job? Also thank you I'll check out the blog and books.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Northern300 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:47 am Do you have recommendation on a crimp and bullet seating die or the ones from the other replies will do the job? Also thank you I'll check out the blog and books.
Any seating die can be adjusted so that it does not crimp. I try to buy seating dies with a micrometer seating stem for ease of adjustment, those can also be added late for most dies.

Crimp dies can also be purchased at any time and the Lee mentioned earlier is a good die and value. That all work, it’s simply a choice.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
VinnAY
Silent But Deadly

Post by VinnAY »

Crimping isn't necessary but opinion's vary but when I have had to crimp I prefer to seat in one die and crimp in a separate step.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

I use the RCBS set for 308, they are good. My BO set is Lee - still does the job. Get the Lee FCD for crimping - just remove the flare bell. RCBS seater set to NOT taper crimp. Taper crimp pushes down on the mouth and can bulge the neck to cause chambering problems. Only stuff I taper crimp is 9mm and 40sw. AR10 even gets the FCD and runs fine. Make a dummy round that chambers correctly, save it to set your seater die every session. Use the case gauge to set HS for your gun. First set sizer for correct on the gauge. Check fired cases after firing several full power loads. If the case is longer you guns HS is different, Readjust your sizer die. All the gauges are made with standard reamer and may not be the same as your gun. If HS is too much, primer will back out, get flattened and shoved back into the pocket. Flat primers is NOT an indication of over-pressure!