Neck Reamer?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Condor1970

Neck Reamer?

Post by Condor1970 »

I have a boat load of 223 brass. Mostly PPU, some Hornady, and even some 556 LC. I've noticed with most of the 223 brass (especially the foreign stuff), the conversion into 300aac yields a neck that would put Brock Lesnar to shame. I can't get the cartridges to slide into my Lyman case gauge all the way. After several cycles on the Chucker it gets better. But still, it's as if it just doesn't want to go. And forget trying to press a round into it.

I found a neck reamer on Brownells, but HOLY SMOKES. $35+ shipped.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/cas ... 33313.aspx

How often do you guys find needing a neck reamer useful during conversions, because to me it looks like virtually EVERY casing is going to need it, even the LC stuff which seems to do best.

Is there a faster way to do tons of neck reaming, without having to use the hand reamer?
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Re: Neck Reamer?

Post by Sig220 »

The best way to save time is to use only brass that is on the "good" brass list. It is the "sticky" at the top of the Handloading section.

I have not a reamer and don't anticipate getting one. In converting 223/556 brass down to 300BO I sort it as to whether it is on the good list or bad list. If the brass is not listed, I pull out a pair of trusted calipers and measure the newly cut brass for thickness (removing any burrs of course) if it is NOT .013 or less it gets trashed and then I don't cut anymore of that head stamp.

Having to cut, ream, resize and trim brass for 300BO is way too much labor involved for me!

Of course, we are all different and it does not mean we won't end up in the same place at the end...........shoot safe, have fun!
ironhead7544

Post by ironhead7544 »

RCBS and Forster have reamers. Quite a bit of time involved.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

Thick necks need to be turned, not reamed.
Stick with the brass on the good brass list in the stickie.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

I have to apologize as I should know not to "post when your toast". I had neck surgery Thursday and am under medication, so disregard any load data I may post.... :lol:

If I misunderstood your post Condor, I again apologize. I thought you were talking about the necks being too thick after conversion. Like I posted earlier, I stick to the good list unless the brass I have has not been reported. Then I measure and adjust!

In my brass preparation, I will not turn down brass necks. I find it too labor intensive. I have always "reamed" after converting brass to rid them of burrs both on the inside and the outside. I do it by hand, find it to take just a turn or two and have not invested in a brass prep center as I didn't know how well they were made.

The other "trick" I use is to spin the brass as the bullet is being seated or turn it if the bullet seems to catch on a sharp edge on the case. It usually then slips right on in.

I will throw out there that neck surgery has improved...my last one was 30 years ago and I spent 7 nights in the hospital and took forever to get back 100%. This surgery kept me in the hospital overnight and I feel 100% right now! But they said no shooting for 3 months.......which also sucks! :P
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Nothing wrong with reaming or turning necks, but probably would spend more than $35 to get set up right. No sense creating problems where they did not exist before.

Done correctly you will increase accuracy, done poorly will be nothing but frustration.

The difference between out side turning and inside reaming is in how you size the case before removing the material. If you outside size the neck, you will remove material from the inside.

I use both methods, it just depends on the cartridge and what I am doing which method makes the most sense.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
hunton35

Post by hunton35 »

I print out the good brass bad brass list out when sorting range brass the good goes it to one can the bad to another for 223 reloading.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

hunton35 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:59 am I print out the good brass bad brass list out when sorting range brass the good goes it to one can the bad to another for 223 reloading.
this is probably the easiest method to follow and doesnt cost anything - time or equipment - to make good, functional brass.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Yup best way I have found to avoid a problem is to decipher the causes and then avoid them. ;)

Having said that, as long as ya have "good" brass I have shot many tremendous groups with mixed brass and NOTHING DONE to the necks. ;)

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS