My gun won't feed hollow points

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Armyofdarkness

My gun won't feed hollow points

Post by Armyofdarkness »

8.5 inch Balliatic advantage barrel, fail zero nib BCG. Seekins upper and lower/ parts. I shoot Suppressed. Anyone seem this issue before? FMJ cycle fine. Tried different BCG and lots different magazines. Same result, happens like every 3 or 4th shot.

Jam1 https://imgur.com/gallery/zw3FSRp
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: My gun won't feed hollow points

Post by BJK »

Just guessing...

Looks to me like either a mag issue or an ammo issue inside the magazine. Load a mag and manually make sure the problem cartridges come up smoothly.

Are you using 5.56 mags? There is a difference between mags for 5.56 and 300BLK. Yeah, I know the cases should feed OK since they have the same lineage, but the bullet* can be interfered with by the innards of a 5.56 mag since their shapes are different. Check to see that the bullets are clearing the innards. You might need to purchase some mags made specifically for 300BLK. 2 that I know of are made by Magpul and Lancer. There might be others, but those are 2 that I know of.

The brass case won't be the problem, concentrate on the bullet passage up to the feed lips. Sometimes they can be seen to go around the 5.56 mag' parts.

*To prevent confusion, when I write bullet I mean the projectile part of the cartridge which is what has been meant by the word since those words were invented. I never use the hellyweird definition of "bullet" which they've perverted into meaning cartridge, ammo, round, yada, yada. Knowing definitions helps discussion and understanding. Yeah, I know, how strange that hellyweird would pervert anything, probably the first time for that. :D
Armyofdarkness

Post by Armyofdarkness »

I've tried both Magpul and lancer magazines for 300 BLK. I think it's a feed ramp problem, maybe the corner of the HP is catching a groove?

I was hoping someone here had this issue and a solution. *Cross fingers*
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Knowing the bullet and COL might be a big help.

load info even more.

buffer weight will also come into play.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Armyofdarkness

Post by Armyofdarkness »

Col is 2"
19 grains h110
110gr Lehigh defense controlled chaos

But same thing happens with store bought HP ammo. But never FMJ

I've tried many different types magazines too, even the 300blk Magpul and lancer mags.
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

Possibly the feed ramps are too narrow and the 30cal bullet is nose high going into the chamber. Looks like that may be the case from the picture posted.

The open nose of a hollow point catches the edge of the chamber mouth and the FMJ allows the bullet a little more reach to contact the upper wall of the chamber to guide it in.

Sometimes a mag change can fix this and other times the feed ramps can to be widened to lower the angle of the bullet entering the chamber.

Perhaps you can take a pic of the feed ramps to help folks troubleshoot the issue.

You can always make a dummy round with the Lehigh bullet and paint it with a black marker. Check to see where the bullet contacts the ramps while feeding from the mag.
300Blk 8.0" pistol with 80% lower
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

carbine buffer? h1? h2? h3?

#askingForAFriend or something like that.

and yes.. it can really matter so please help us with some more info :)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
exexex

Post by exexex »

When you say won't feed, does it not pick up the bullet at all or does the round get jammed halfway in? Does your bolt ever fail to lock back on last round, like you might be getting a short stroke, though I usually only see that with heavier bullets than yours. But your 19g of H110 seems fast enough at least for equivalent Hornady load. COL seems reasonable in 2 inch range.

Problem on 3rd or 4th round is weird: usually first or last seems to be what I see most of the time if I get it. If that is consistent 3rd or 4th, stop at second round fired, gently eject the mag and see if the next (3rd) round sitting on top is displaced from normal position. Is it pointed down or pointed in funny or not all the way up.

Idea of putting black magic marker on it is a good one if it's getting partway fed and jamming.