New build - bolt carrier group snagging on gas tube when charging

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

matpj

New build - bolt carrier group snagging on gas tube when charging

Post by matpj »

Hi folks,
new here as I came online to try and resolve an issue I am having with my first ever build - a 300BLK kit from Daytona Tactical

Everything seemed to go to plan - finally assembled the upper and tried the charging handle which only pulled back an inch or so
I removed the upper assembly from the lower to see what was going on and discovered after some time that if I removed the gas block and tube, the snagging didnt happen.

now, if I have the upper in my hand and apply some upwards pressure (toward the charging handle) on the rear of the BCG with the gas tube in place it retracts without issue.

has anyone else come across this? there is no alignment dimple in the barrel for the gas block, but it all fits together and the BCG pushes into place without issue. I have even tried slightly altering the gas-block position but to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Matt
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: New build - bolt carrier group snagging on gas tube when charging

Post by plant.one »

check to make sure that your barrel nut - if its one of the grooved mil-spec style ones anyway - is properly aligned. if not.. its just a matter of getting your gas block properly clocked.

one of the two is messing with your ability to move the bolt as the gas key isnt lining up with the gas tube.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
matpj

Re: New build - bolt carrier group snagging on gas tube when charging

Post by matpj »

Thanks for the response.
I popped the upper back on the lower and it seemed to just start working. Maybe the buffer applied the necessary force. It’s certainly racking freely now.
When my sights arrive later this week I’ll take it for a spin at the range